From: hugo vanwoerkom on
hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:19:02 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
>>
>>> These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
>>> and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
>>> to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
>>> change.
>>
>> I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful
>> if you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter
>> should be automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.
>>
>> Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
>> zones and current temperature trip points.
>>

> lm-sensors does not work on this laptop, 'sensors-detect' does not
> detect any sensors.
>
> 'acpi -v' reads;
> Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully
> charge., design capacity 4400 mAh
> AC Adapter 0: on-line
> Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
> Thermal 1: ok, 69.0 degrees C
> Cooling 0: Processor 1 of 7
>
> But I notice that /etc/rc2.d has 'S20fancontrol', I wonder what that
> does. I would just like to turn the fan on, since I never hear it.

That is part of lm-sensors, won't work... :-(

Hugo

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:40:23 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful if
>> you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter should
>> be automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.
>>
>> Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
>> zones and current temperature trip points.
>>

> lm-sensors does not work on this laptop, 'sensors-detect' does not
> detect any sensors.

Usually, "sensors-detect" gives you some tips for loading the right
modules for your board and once you load them, starts working.

> 'acpi -v' reads;
> Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully
> charge., design capacity 4400 mAh
> AC Adapter 0: on-line
> Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
> Thermal 1: ok, 69.0 degrees C
> Cooling 0: Processor 1 of 7
>
> But I notice that /etc/rc2.d has 'S20fancontrol', I wonder what that
> does. I would just like to turn the fan on, since I never hear it.

Maybe that "fancontrol" is the service provided by lm-sensors, but not
sure :-?

I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU (69°
C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends on the
microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from BIOS? Just
to make a comparison...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:40:23 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
>
>> Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful if
>>> you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter should
>>> be automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.
>>>
>>> Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
>>> zones and current temperature trip points.
>>>

>> lm-sensors does not work on this laptop, 'sensors-detect' does not
>> detect any sensors.
>
> Usually, "sensors-detect" gives you some tips for loading the right
> modules for your board and once you load them, starts working.
>
>> 'acpi -v' reads;
>> Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully
>> charge., design capacity 4400 mAh
>> AC Adapter 0: on-line
>> Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
>> Thermal 1: ok, 69.0 degrees C
>> Cooling 0: Processor 1 of 7
>>
>> But I notice that /etc/rc2.d has 'S20fancontrol', I wonder what that
>> does. I would just like to turn the fan on, since I never hear it.
>
> Maybe that "fancontrol" is the service provided by lm-sensors, but not
> sure :-?
>
> I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU (69°
> C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends on the
> microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from BIOS? Just
> to make a comparison...

'sensors-detect' gets:
Sorry, no sensors were detected.
Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an
I2C or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.

BIOS shows nothing of either fan or temperature.

The only temperature indicators are
hugo(a)debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
66000
hugo(a)debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp
50000

It is not clear what these refer to.

'fancontrol' is shown as part of the package lm-sensors.

Hugo

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:41:52 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU
>> (69° C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends
>> on the microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from
>> BIOS? Just to make a comparison...
>>

> 'sensors-detect' gets:
> Sorry, no sensors were detected.
> Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an I2C
> or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.

Did you read the suggested steps?

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3#Sensors-detectdoesntworkatall

Mmm, does not look good.

You can try to load the latest SystemRescueCD (a livecd) which has the
latest version for "lm-sensors" package. If running "sensors-detect"
there either works, then... dunno :-/

> BIOS shows nothing of either fan or temperature.

Ouch :-(

> The only temperature indicators are
> hugo(a)debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp 66000
> hugo(a)debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp 50000
>
> It is not clear what these refer to.

Thermal zones are "points" defined to "ring the bell" (getting an alarm
and provide an event → i.e., activating or speeding up the fan) to avoid
overheating, but provided that your ACPI detection is not very accurate,
I won't take that values very seriously.

> 'fancontrol' is shown as part of the package lm-sensors.

Yes :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:41:52 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
>
>> Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> I would try first to get an accurate temperature measure for the CPU
>>> (69° C is a bit high, even for a laptop, but not critical -that depends
>>> on the microprocessor type-). Are you able to get these values from
>>> BIOS? Just to make a comparison...
>>>

>> 'sensors-detect' gets:
>> Sorry, no sensors were detected.
>> Either your sensors are not supported, or they are connected to an I2C
>> or SMBus adapter that is not supported. See
>> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3 for further information.
>
> Did you read the suggested steps?
>
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter3#Sensors-detectdoesntworkatall
>
> Mmm, does not look good.
>
> You can try to load the latest SystemRescueCD (a livecd) which has the
> latest version for "lm-sensors" package. If running "sensors-detect"
> there either works, then... dunno :-/
>
>> BIOS shows nothing of either fan or temperature.
>
> Ouch :-(
>
>> The only temperature indicators are
>> hugo(a)debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp 66000
>> hugo(a)debian:~$ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/temp 50000
>>
>> It is not clear what these refer to.
>
> Thermal zones are "points" defined to "ring the bell" (getting an alarm
> and provide an event → i.e., activating or speeding up the fan) to avoid
> overheating, but provided that your ACPI detection is not very accurate,
> I won't take that values very seriously.
>
>> 'fancontrol' is shown as part of the package lm-sensors.
>
> Yes :-(

Lenny has only 2.6.26 kernel. I can try knoppix 6.2.1 which has a 2.6.32
kernel and see if it has a later lm-sensors.

Lenny has version 3.0.2 and sid has 3.1.2, don't know if that will make
much difference.

Hugo