From: hugo vanwoerkom on
Hi,

These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
change.

Hugo

On 7/28/10 8:19 AM, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
> and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
> to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
> change.
>
> Hugo

I don't know about controlling the fan manually outside of the bios or
an Acer approved application, but I do know you can install some tools
to stop the fan from being so noisy:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7273893&postcount=59 should still
work with the latest Ubuntu.

Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 7/28/10 8:19 AM, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
>> and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
>> to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
>> change.
>>
>> Hugo
>>

> I don't know about controlling the fan manually outside of the bios or
> an Acer approved application, but I do know you can install some tools
> to stop the fan from being so noisy:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7273893&postcount=59 should still
> work with the latest Ubuntu.

Thanks Jordon. I have acerfand installed but that only sets the fan to
'AUTO' or 'OFF' and is sort of pervasive, it keeps writing to syslog and
it seems to be able to create a race condition.

acerhdf does not compile and what it says in the readme does not seem true:
ON: 'echo 1 > /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/cdev0/cur_state'
does nothing, it does not turn the fan on. But:
'cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp'
does say 67000

Hugo

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:19:02 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:

> These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
> and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
> to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
> change.

I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful if
you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter should be
automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.

Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
zones and current temperature trip points.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:19:02 -0500, hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
>
>> These are my first days with running Lenny on an Acer Aspire 3613WLCi
>> and I see temps like: TZS0 70 TZS1 52 but I can't seem to find a utility
>> to control the fan: I would like to turn in on and see if those temps
>> change.
>
> I think "lm-sensors" includes a "fancontrol" package, but be careful if
> you want to manually set the fan speed, because this parameter should be
> automatically adjusted by ACPI and cpufreqd.
>
> Ideally, running "acpi -V" will display more info about your thermal
> zones and current temperature trip points.

lm-sensors does not work on this laptop, 'sensors-detect' does not
detect any sensors.

'acpi -v' reads;
Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully
charge., design capacity 4400 mAh
AC Adapter 0: on-line
Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
Thermal 1: ok, 69.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: Processor 1 of 7

But I notice that /etc/rc2.d has 'S20fancontrol', I wonder what that
does. I would just like to turn the fan on, since I never hear it.

Hugo