From: Ivan I on
"DanP" <dan.petre(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1279952/Nasa-shuttle-A...
> >> pace-station-seen-passing-Sun.html
>
> > It is a great shot, but not quite as difficult as it appears.
>
> > There are databases that will tell you exactly when the satellites will
> > pass in front of the sun or moon from your latitude and longitude.
>
> I would tend to disagree, I think it's an extremely difficult shot.
>
> However, the published photo doesn't make sense. In the published photo,
> they are still both travelling in the wrong direction.
>
> Initially, I thought that maybe he had the camera in portrait mode, but it
> still doesn't make sense. There are only two directions the ISS could have
> been travelling in the photo. Heading approx. 7 o'clock, or heading
> approx.
> 10 o'clock.
>
> So, the only explanation I can think of is that he deliberately tilted the
> camera in order to try and achieve the perfect media shot, but then the
> image was rotated afterwards.

>>"The Shuttle was in the process of performing a back flip so that
>>astronauts on board the orbiter could study the heat shield for any
>>damage caused during the launch."

>>I do not know which way is the front for the ISS.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't worry me too much, as it's a great photo.
However, I'm trying to understand why they appear to be travelling in the
wrong direction.

In this pic, you can see the path of the ISS in relation to the Earth
(currently going 'up' across Madrid in this pic):
http://i45.tinypic.com/35c3p7m.jpg

In this pic, you can see the two rough directions the ISS travels across
Spain depending on what cycle it's on. The white line would have been the
approx. direction the photographers lens was pointing (Azimuth just under
160�, Altitude just under 70�):
http://i45.tinypic.com/50f9qs.jpg

This pic is a rotated version of the previous pic, but rotated to show the
two directions the ISS could have been be coming whilst looking down the
lens (I don't know where the ISS was when the photo was taken, which is why
I've given the two possibilities):
http://i46.tinypic.com/2h3boew.jpg

This pic shows the two possible directions I would have expected to see the
ISS travelling in the photo. But instead it appears to be travelling pretty
straight, Even if you flip the image or rotate it, it still doesn't appear
to be travelling in the right direction:
http://i46.tinypic.com/24ni6hu.jpg

These images are only rough, but you get the idea. So, either the photo
wasn't taken where the photographer said it was, or the camera was tilted at
a strange angle, or the final image was rotated. Unless anyone has any
other ideas?

From: Ken Walls on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 23:37:12 +0100, "Ivan I" <ivan(a)uptheresomewhere.maybe>
wrote:

>"DanP" <dan.petre(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > It is a great shot, but not quite as difficult as it appears.
>>
>> > There are databases that will tell you exactly when the satellites will
>> > pass in front of the sun or moon from your latitude and longitude.
>>
>> I would tend to disagree, I think it's an extremely difficult shot.
>>
>> However, the published photo doesn't make sense. In the published photo,
>> they are still both travelling in the wrong direction.
>>
>> Initially, I thought that maybe he had the camera in portrait mode, but it
>> still doesn't make sense. There are only two directions the ISS could have
>> been travelling in the photo. Heading approx. 7 o'clock, or heading
>> approx.
>> 10 o'clock.
>>
>> So, the only explanation I can think of is that he deliberately tilted the
>> camera in order to try and achieve the perfect media shot, but then the
>> image was rotated afterwards.
>

>>>"The Shuttle was in the process of performing a back flip so that
>>>astronauts on board the orbiter could study the heat shield for any
>>>damage caused during the launch."
>
>>>I do not know which way is the front for the ISS.
>

>Don't get me wrong, it doesn't worry me too much, as it's a great photo.
>However, I'm trying to understand why they appear to be travelling in the
>wrong direction.
>
>In this pic, you can see the path of the ISS in relation to the Earth
>(currently going 'up' across Madrid in this pic):
>http://i45.tinypic.com/35c3p7m.jpg
>
>In this pic, you can see the two rough directions the ISS travels across
>Spain depending on what cycle it's on. The white line would have been the
>approx. direction the photographers lens was pointing (Azimuth just under
>160�, Altitude just under 70�):
>http://i45.tinypic.com/50f9qs.jpg
>
>This pic is a rotated version of the previous pic, but rotated to show the
>two directions the ISS could have been be coming whilst looking down the
>lens (I don't know where the ISS was when the photo was taken, which is why
>I've given the two possibilities):
>http://i46.tinypic.com/2h3boew.jpg
>
>This pic shows the two possible directions I would have expected to see the
>ISS travelling in the photo. But instead it appears to be travelling pretty
>straight, Even if you flip the image or rotate it, it still doesn't appear
>to be travelling in the right direction:
>http://i46.tinypic.com/24ni6hu.jpg
>
>These images are only rough, but you get the idea. So, either the photo
>wasn't taken where the photographer said it was, or the camera was tilted at
>a strange angle, or the final image was rotated. Unless anyone has any
>other ideas?

Any equatorial mounted telescope and camera will take images at odd angles.
Some astrophotographers use a right-angle prism between camera and
telescope optics because it's easier to compose through the camera when an
object is near the zenith, rather than trying to strain their necks by
crouching under the telescope. (This of course is dependent on which
telescope design is being used--catadioptric, newtonian, refractor, etc.)
This oft-used 90-degree prism further confusing you by flipping images
right to left but not reversing up and down. There is no "up is north",
"down is south", "left is east", "right is west" in any telescope. Images
of stars have to be realigned later to known directions. The images
flipped, rotated, or reversed as needed to match the real sky if wanting to
add that photograph to a known database of adjoining photographs. Many
star-field photographs will have a little arrow added in later by the
photographer (or others) pointing to true north to assist the layman
viewer. Some lunar maps are even printed rotated 180 degrees and flipped
left-to-right to make it easier for equatorial catadioptric telescope users
with right-angle prisms visually find their way around lunar features.

Perhaps you should visit some fake-moon-landing and other conspiracy
websites where you'll get fellow psycho-netizens to agree with you because
they are also too ignorant to the workings of the real world. Their only
meager glimpses of reality coming from their mommy's basements and now
self-crippled minds while their imaginations run rampant. Their minds have
found a way to entertain themselves without any input from reality. You
should read an old sci-fi book called, "The Terminal Man". His brain was
hardware wired to give an intense pleasure response every time he was going
to engage in any antisocial activities, thus preventing him from doing so.
Eventually his mind found a way to stimulate itself into an infinite
feedback loop of electrical impulses, until he was dead, with a smile on
his face. This is analogous to those who live their lives at their computer
terminals. Finding any words or others equally crippled to support their
unfounded theories, all to convince themselves that their psychotic
imaginings must be correct. Caught in an infinite loop of psychotic decay
while dragging others into their psychoses along with them. But at least
they're happy. 100% socially, emotionally, and mentally dead--but happy.
The bodies of these new "Terminal People" would cease to function as well
but they don't realize they are dead yet.

Some even live right here in these newsgroups. You can tell by how their
DSLR photographs never match what they are trying to convince everyone else
to believe with their words. They're precisely that far out of touch with
reality.
From: M-M on
In article <4bf92acc$0$26118$afc38c87(a)news.optusnet.com.au>,
"Jeff R." <contact(a)this.ng> wrote:

> > It is an easy shot with the right equipment since you know exactly when
> > the event will happen and your camera is electronically tracking the sun.
>

> Uh huh.
> Especially when the transit takes about... oh, I'd guess... half a second?

More like 7.5 seconds. And you just put your camera on continuous as
soon as the transit begins.

An orbit of the shuttle takes 90 minutes. 360 degrees in 90 minutes. The
sun is 1/2 degree in diameter. That means 1/2 degree in 7.5 seconds.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com
From: Ray Fischer on
M-M <nospam.m-m(a)ny.more> wrote:
> "Jeff R." <contact(a)this.ng> wrote:

>> > It is an easy shot with the right equipment since you know exactly when
>> > the event will happen and your camera is electronically tracking the sun.
>>

>> Uh huh.
>> Especially when the transit takes about... oh, I'd guess... half a second?
>
>More like 7.5 seconds. And you just put your camera on continuous as
>soon as the transit begins.
>
>An orbit of the shuttle takes 90 minutes. 360 degrees in 90 minutes. The
>sun is 1/2 degree in diameter. That means 1/2 degree in 7.5 seconds.

That happens to be wrong because you're observing the shuttle not from
the center of the Earth, but from a point that is about 7,600 miles
closer to the shuttle.

18,000mph and 0.5 degrees seen from a distance of 300 miles. Let's see
if I still remember trig.

sin 0.5 degrees (the width of the sun) is 0.00873, times the distance
to the shuttle (300 miles) is 2.7 miles, longer at higher latitudes.
Let's say four miles.

The shuttle, travelling at 18,000mph will traverse that 4 miles in,
well, not a very large amount of time. Roughly 3/4 second.

Doable, but hard.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Jeff R. on

"M-M" <nospam.m-m(a)ny.more> wrote in message
> In article <4bf92acc$0$26118$afc38c87(a)news.optusnet.com.au>,
> "Jeff R." <contact(a)this.ng> wrote:
>
>> > It is an easy shot with the right equipment since you know exactly when
>> > the event will happen and your camera is electronically tracking the
>> > sun.
>>

>> Uh huh.
>> Especially when the transit takes about... oh, I'd guess... half a
>> second?
>

> More like 7.5 seconds. And you just put your camera on continuous as
> soon as the transit begins.
>
> An orbit of the shuttle takes 90 minutes. 360 degrees in 90 minutes. The
> sun is 1/2 degree in diameter. That means 1/2 degree in 7.5 seconds.

From http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/page/3/

"The big yellow thing is the Sun. But look at the upper right section. See
those two dark blips? The one on the left is the Shuttle Orbiter Atlantis
and on the right is the International Space Station! Incredibly, Thierry
caught them as they passed directly in front of the Sun! To give you an idea
of how talented Thierry is, the entire transit lasted just over half a
second."

Sometimes simple maths doesn't quite cut it. But then, it isn't rocket
science.

....no, wait...

(Thierry Legault is so far beyond the average astrophotographer's abilities
that comparisons are pointless)

--
Jeff R.
(I'll take Phil Plait's estimate, I think)