From: Gregor Kofler on
LouisB meinte:

> I am totally out of touch with current scanning technology. A search of
> google suggests there is really only one game in town: Nikon Coolscan.
>
> If this is the case then the decision is between the LS-50 and the 5000-ED
> (hope I've got that right). There seems to be a sizeable difference in price
> between the two (in the UK at least).
>
> Nikon seem to imply that if all you need are pictures for web pages then go
> for the LS-50 whereas if you require "professional" use then you need the
> 5000-ED. Is this marketing hype or would I find the LS-50 lacking if I want
> quality enlargements?

The scanning specs of the LS 50 are practically the same as the LS-4000
(which I own), except the lack of multi-pass scanning, which can be a
very slight (stress is on very) advantage with very "dark" slides. Apart
from that, the differences are mechanical ones: The LS4000/5000 accepts
the SF-200/210 feeder (for mounted slides) and another feeder for
complete film rolls. The LS 5000 is faster than the LS 50/LS 4000 due to
a second CCD row (top speed around 40 secs vs. 1+ min for a "basic" scan
at 4000dpi). I doubt whether 14bit (LS 50/4000) vs. 16bit (LS 5000) is
noticable.

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.at ::: Landschafts- und Reisefotografie
http://www.licht-blick.at ::: Forum f�r Multivisionsvortr�ge
From: LouisB on
> I couldn't help but feel that if he had used a digital camera, he
> could see if he got the shot he was after as soon as he took it, and
> if he didn't he would know what he needed to adjust to make sure he
> got it. It would have saved him a lot of film, developing costs, and
> time.
>
> Talker

Talker

Thanks for the interesting story. Yes, it is the investment in Leica m
lenses which is driving my desire to use them to their best effect. I did
have a pretty stunning demonstration of a M8 yesterday and it was hard not
to immediately whip out my credit card and buy it!

regards

LouisB

From: Alan Browne on
LouisB wrote:
> I'm thinking about returning to film photography (an odd step because I
> currently use digital). The thing that would swing it for me is the ease and
> quality of home scanning. I am not a professional photographer but I am a
> serious amateur. I would like to be able to scan and print without the pain
> of finding a studio to do it for me.
>
> I am totally out of touch with current scanning technology. A search of
> google suggests there is really only one game in town: Nikon Coolscan.
>
> If this is the case then the decision is between the LS-50 and the 5000-ED
> (hope I've got that right). There seems to be a sizeable difference in price
> between the two (in the UK at least).
>
> Nikon seem to imply that if all you need are pictures for web pages then go
> for the LS-50 whereas if you require "professional" use then you need the
> 5000-ED. Is this marketing hype or would I find the LS-50 lacking if I want
> quality enlargements?

Here's a different approach:

Buy a used MF camera (Hassy, Rollei, Pentax, ...).
Get the Nikon 9000 ED scanner.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
From: thomas.c.monego on
On Jul 14, 1:08 pm, Alan Browne <alan.bro...(a)FreelunchVideotron.ca>
wrote:
> LouisB wrote:
> > I'm thinking about returning to film photography (an odd step because I
> > currently use digital). The thing that would swing it for me is the ease and
> > quality of home scanning. I am not a professional photographer but I am a
> > serious amateur. I would like to be able to scan and print without the pain
> > of finding a studio to do it for me.
>
> > I am totally out of touch with current scanning technology. A search of
> > google suggests there is really only one game in town: Nikon Coolscan.
>
> > If this is the case then the decision is between the LS-50 and the 5000-ED
> > (hope I've got that right). There seems to be a sizeable difference in price
> > between the two (in the UK at least).
>
> > Nikon seem to imply that if all you need are pictures for web pages then go
> > for the LS-50 whereas if you require "professional" use then you need the
> > 5000-ED. Is this marketing hype or would I find the LS-50 lacking if I want
> > quality enlargements?
>
> Here's a different approach:
>
> Buy a used MF camera (Hassy, Rollei, Pentax, ...).
> Get the Nikon 9000 ED scanner.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan
>
> --
> -- r.p.e.35mm user resource:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
> -- r.p.d.slr-systems:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
> -- [SI] gallery & rulz:http://www.pbase.com/shootin
> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

I agree with Alan, get a medium format, a Mamiya 7 would be a good fit
as you like rangefinders. Other than that Hassleblad is about the only
other 2 1/4 I'd look at. 500 series are going for next to nothing
(comparitively). Nikon 9000 is tough to find new, but a very good
versitile scanner.

Tom

From: Alan Browne on
thomas.c.monego(a)hitchcock.org wrote:
> On Jul 14, 1:08 pm, Alan Browne <alan.bro...(a)FreelunchVideotron.ca>

>> Here's a different approach:
>>
>> Buy a used MF camera (Hassy, Rollei, Pentax, ...).
>> Get the Nikon 9000 ED scanner.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alan

> I agree with Alan, get a medium format, a Mamiya 7 would be a good fit
> as you like rangefinders. Other than that Hassleblad is about the only
> other 2 1/4 I'd look at. 500 series are going for next to nothing
> (comparitively). Nikon 9000 is tough to find new, but a very good
> versitile scanner.

It's in stock in several on line places, though not B&H at present.
Adorama carries it, but the website is not clear as to whether it is in
stock or not.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.