From: Patrick D. on
Hi

Copying a file from a shared folder on the host System (Windows 7) to
Windows XP (Windows XP mode of Win7) takes a very long time.
I open the shared folder within WinXP (virtual) and I copy a file from the
host OS to my virtual WinXP.
This virtual network is very slow, I copied a file of 13 MB, which took me
about 20 minutes. I made this test on two totally different machines and I
got the same slow results.

Where is the problem?

Patrick
From: Bo Berglund on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 02:29:01 -0800, Patrick D.
<PatrickD(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Copying a file from a shared folder on the host System (Windows 7) to
>Windows XP (Windows XP mode of Win7) takes a very long time.
>I open the shared folder within WinXP (virtual) and I copy a file from the
>host OS to my virtual WinXP.
>This virtual network is very slow, I copied a file of 13 MB, which took me
>about 20 minutes. I made this test on two totally different machines and I
>got the same slow results.
>
>Where is the problem?

Which only shows the unusability of the VPC shared folders....
This has been discussed *many* times for VPC2007 and by your account
the problem has not been solved in WVPC either.

Your best approach is to create a regular network mapped folder either
on your virtual machine or the host and then you use that to send
files back and forth.

Windows networking is a MUCH more robust and working system than the
VPC shared folders ever were.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Robert Comer on
> Which only shows the unusability of the VPC shared folders....
> This has been discussed *many* times for VPC2007 and by your account
> the problem has not been solved in WVPC either.

It's not the same problem in WVPC, but it's a problem nevertheless. There
are workarounds, none particularly attractive in most situations. (use NAT,
or use 2 NIC's, one dedicated to the VM's.

> Windows networking is a MUCH more robust and working system than the
> VPC shared folders ever were.

Windows Networking is slow between the guest and host in WVPC..

--
Bob Comer

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Robert Comer wrote:
>> Windows networking is a MUCH more robust and working system than the
>> VPC shared folders ever were.
>
> Windows Networking is slow between the guest and host in WVPC..

Understatement of the Year! It's damn near unusable with big files.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org