From: Dave Peterson on
If it doesn't crash xl2007, maybe it's time to rebuilt the workbook from
scratch.

Workbooks can get corrupted and each version of excel handles different levels
of corruption differently. Some versions can open and save. Some versions
can't.

You may want to try openoffice. Lots of people have said that it's recovered
workbooks (including the project) that excel couldn't.

(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

--

Dave Peterson
From: Matt on
Yeah, sorry Dave, I meant I did find the xlb's, changed them, and still Excel
crashed so renaming didn't work. I will try the new workbook idea and let you
know how that goes. Thanks again for all the help!

From: Matt on
Hey Dave!
I pasted the code into a fresh workbook and it didn't crash.

From: Matt on
Hey Dave,
We tried changing the code to the following, and the file didn't crash on
closing. Every subsequent try crashes. Does anything get cached in Excel that
might cause something like that? The memory is cleared too which is weird, so
is something about the form cached between uses regardless of a memory
clearing? Thanks! Sorry for all the dang questions!

This is everything:

Sub activateinput()

Call CreateMenu

UserForm1.Show

End Sub

Sub CreateMenu()

'

'THE DROP-DOWN CODE BEGINS HERE

Dim custBar, oControl

Set custBar = CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar")

For Each oControl In custBar.Controls

If oControl.Caption = "&NAME" Then

oControl.Delete

End If

Next

Call CreateMenu2

End Sub

Sub CreateMenu2()

Dim custBar As Object

Set custBar = CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls. _

Add(Type:=msoControlPopup)

With custBar

.Caption = "&NAME"

End With

Call CreateClearMenu

Call SubMenu_Output

Call CreateInputMenu

Call CreateIntroMenu

Call SubMenu_Sim7

Call SubMenu_Sim6

Call SubMenu_Sim5

Call SubMenu_Sim4

Call SubMenu_Sim3

Call SubMenu_Sim2

Call SubMenu_Sim1

End Sub

Sub CreateIntroMenu()

With CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar").Controls("&NAME")

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption =
"&Introduction"

.Controls("Introduction").OnAction = "activateintro"

End With

End Sub

Sub CreateInputMenu()

With CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar").Controls("&NAME")

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption = "I&nput"

.Controls("Input").OnAction = "activateinput"

End With

End Sub

Sub SubMenu_Output()

Dim newSub As Object

Set newSub = CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar").Controls("&NAME")

With newSub

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup, Before:=1).Caption = "&Output"

End With

End Sub

Sub CreateClearMenu()

With CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar").Controls("&NAME")

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption = "&Clear"

.Controls("Clear").OnAction = "delete_prior"

End With

End Sub

Sub SubMenu_Sim1()

Dim newSubItem As Object

Set newSubItem = CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar") _

.Controls("&NAME").Controls("Output")

With newSubItem

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption = "Simulation
#&1"

.Controls("Simulation #1").OnAction = "Sim1"

End With

End Sub

Sub SubMenu_Sim2()

Dim newSubItem As Object

Set newSubItem = CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar") _

.Controls("&NAME").Controls("Output")

With newSubItem

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption = "Simulation
#&2"

.Controls("Simulation #2").OnAction = "Sim2"

End With

End Sub

Sub SubMenu_Sim3()

Dim newSubItem As Object

Set newSubItem = CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar") _

.Controls("&NAME").Controls("Output")

With newSubItem

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption = "Simulation
#&3"

.Controls("Simulation #3").OnAction = "Sim3"

End With

End Sub

Sub SubMenu_Sim4()

Dim newSubItem As Object

Set newSubItem = CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar") _

.Controls("&NAME").Controls("Output")

With newSubItem

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption = "Simulation
#&4"

.Controls("Simulation #4").OnAction = "Sim4"

End With

End Sub

Sub SubMenu_Sim5()

Dim newSubItem As Object

Set newSubItem = CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar") _

.Controls("&NAME").Controls("Output")

With newSubItem

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption = "Simulation
#&5"

.Controls("Simulation #5").OnAction = "Sim5"

End With

End Sub

Sub SubMenu_Sim6()

Dim newSubItem As Object

Set newSubItem = CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar") _

.Controls("&NAME").Controls("Output")

With newSubItem

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption = "Simulation
#&6"

.Controls("Simulation #6").OnAction = "Sim6"

End With

End Sub

Sub SubMenu_Sim7()

Dim newSubItem As Object

Set newSubItem = CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar") _

.Controls("&NAME").Controls("Output")

With newSubItem

.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, Before:=1).Caption = "Simulation
#&7"

.Controls("Simulation #7").OnAction = "Sim7"

End With

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Call gen1

End Sub

Sub gen1()

'

From: Dave Peterson on
I don't understand why you have an option to create the menu inside an option in
that menu (activeateinput is the .onaction for the i&nput routine.

If you discount my confusion, I still don't see anything in your code that runs
when the workbook closes--or when excel closes. You may have an event that
calls one of these routines that calls one of the routines that calls one of the
routines??????

Anyway, you can clean up some of your code by using something like this:

Option Explicit
Sub CreateMenu()

Dim CustBar As CommandBar
Dim oControl As CommandBarControl
Dim ctrl As CommandBarControl

Dim myMacs As Variant
Dim myCaps As Variant
Dim iCtr As Long

Set CustBar = Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar")

On Error Resume Next
CustBar.Controls("&Name").Delete
On Error GoTo 0

Set oControl = CustBar.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup, temporary:=True)

With oControl
.Caption = "&NAME"
End With

myCaps = Array("Simulation #&1", _
"Simulation #&2", _
"Simulation #&3", _
"Simulation #&4", _
"Simulation #&5", _
"Simulation #&6", _
"Simulation #&7", _
"&Introduction", _
"I&nput", _
"&Output", _
"&Clear")

myMacs = Array("Sim1", _
"Sim2", _
"Sim3", _
"Sim4", _
"Sim5", _
"Sim6", _
"Sim7", _
"activateintro", _
"activateinput", _
"donothing", _
"delete_prior")

If UBound(myMacs) <> UBound(myCaps) Then
MsgBox "Design error!"
Exit Sub
End If

For iCtr = LBound(myMacs) To UBound(myMacs)
Set ctrl = oControl.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton, _
temporary:=True)
With ctrl
.Caption = myCaps(iCtr)
.OnAction = "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!" & myMacs(iCtr)
End With
Next iCtr
End Sub

Make sure you put the macro names and the macro captions in the correct order!

--

Dave Peterson