From: Steve on
Hi Liz,

Give me your comments please to the following tables ....

TblBirdType
BirdTypeID
BirdType (Robin, Sparrow, Dove, etc)

TblColor
ColorID
Color (Black, Red, B;ue, etc)

TblBird
BirdID
BirdTypeID
ColorID
<other fields to uniquely identify a bird>

TblLocation
LocationID
LocationDescription
<other fields to iniquely identify a location>

TblGroup
GroupID
LocationID
DateGroupObserved

TblGroupComposition
GroupCompositionID
GroupID
BirdID
TimeBirdObserved
ArrivalDeparture

Steve
santus(a)penn.com

From: EHobs via AccessMonster.com on
Hi Steve & Jeff,

Thanks for your comments. I was actually planning something much simpler than
the several tables Steve posted - I am working with only one type of bird at
one specific location. I was thinking of having just a single table that I
can query. I could put the data in the following format

Date BirdID ArrivalTime DepartureTime

Any ideas on how to structure a query that will allow me to:

1) determine the total shared amount of time present for any 2 individuals
2) determine all of the individuals present at any one time point

Thanks again,

Liz

From: Jeff Boyce on
You posted your question in a newsgroup that supports the use of Microsoft
Access. MS Access is a relational database.

It all starts with the data.

It sounds like you want to use a spreadsheet instead (all the data in one
table). Have you looked into that option?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: EHobs via AccessMonster.com on
Hi Jeff,

Yes, I have looked into spread sheets, but I have settled on access because I
am more comfortable with writing queries in that program and am estimating
that I should have around 80,000 data points, which is more than Excel can
handle. Thank you for your comments and your time. I will try posting under
queries, as it is clear that my question really doesn't fit here.

Thanks again,

Liz

From: Steve on
Hi Liz,

You ought to reconsider the tables I suggested. Multiple tables DOES NOT
make querying harder, In fact, multiple tab;es make querying easier. Data
entry will be easier and more accurate too!