From: phil_herring on
Do you have more than one Oracle home on the server?

By default, a DB link will use the TNS names file in the database
home. However, it's possible that when you run tnsping, you're using
another Oracle home with a different TNS names file.

-- Phil
From: Krzysztof Cierpisz on
On 15 Jul., 02:35, "phil_herr...(a)yahoo.com.au"
<phil_herr...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Do you have more than one Oracle home on the server?
>
> By default, a DB link will use the TNS names file in the database
> home. However, it's possible that when you run tnsping, you're using
> another Oracle home with a different TNS names file.
>
> -- Phil

definitely I have only one Oracle home.
there is only one tnsnames.ora file on my system.
it's fairly new entry into tnsnames.ora file, and as mentioned above
when I change tnsname entry from OXO into TEST both connections
(sqlplus and dblink) work fine.

thanks,
chris
From: Mark D Powell on
On Jul 14, 2:21 pm, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:57:02 -0700, Mark D Powell wrote:
> > One of the default rules for a database link is that the link name must
> > match the remote database name: what is the name of the remote database?
>
> That is true only in the situations when the global_names=true, which is
> a recommended setting, though not the default one.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

As an interesting side fact, I remember the default being true so I
checked the manuals: Sure enough using 10.2 documentation it does
default to true but on 8.1.7 (which has 8.1.6 Reference) the default
was true. So I grabbed the 9.2 documentation and it was true there.

Krzysztof, what is the setting of global_names on the target
database? I believe this parameter controls incoming requests and not
outgoing link names.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

From: Mladen Gogala on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 06:14:51 -0700, Mark D Powell wrote:

> As an interesting side fact, I remember the default being true so I
> checked the manuals: Sure enough using 10.2 documentation it does
> default to true but on 8.1.7 (which has 8.1.6 Reference) the default was
> true. So I grabbed the 9.2 documentation and it was true there.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing
options

SQL> show parameter global_names

NAME TYPE VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
global_names boolean FALSE

This is my very own DB on my home machine. I haven't changed the
parameter. The documentation may say whatever it wants, when I install
the database from scratch, the parameter is set to false.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Carlos on

> Krzysztof, what is the setting of global_names on the target
> database?  I believe this parameter controls incoming requests and not
> outgoing link names.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Let the Oracle speak:

"The name that you give to a link on the local database depends on
whether the remote database that you want to access enforces global
naming. If the remote database enforces global naming, then you must
use the remote database global database name as the name of the link.
"

That was my first question to OP.

Cheers.

Carlos.