From: hugo vanwoerkom on
Hi,

I compiled Lenny's backport linux-source-2.6.32 2.6.32-15~bpo50+1 but it
does not boot: it says 'Loading files...' and sits there.

So I want to debug the initrd. The man page of initramfs-tools says:

debug generates lots of output. It writes a log to /tmp/initramfs.debug.
Instead when invoked with an arbitrary argument output is written to
console. Use for example "debug=vc".

So I set /etc/default/rcS TMPTIME=2 and used 'debug' but nothing is in /tmp.

Anybody guess what goes on here?

'debug=vc' generates the output on the console and he is sleeping but it
goes by too fst to see what went on so I want to look at the output.

hugo

hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compiled Lenny's backport linux-source-2.6.32 2.6.32-15~bpo50+1 but it
> does not boot: it says 'Loading files...' and sits there.
>
> So I want to debug the initrd. The man page of initramfs-tools says:
>
> debug generates lots of output. It writes a log to /tmp/initramfs.debug.
> Instead when invoked with an arbitrary argument output is written to
> console. Use for example "debug=vc".
>
> So I set /etc/default/rcS TMPTIME=2 and used 'debug' but nothing is in
> /tmp.
>
> Anybody guess what goes on here?
>
> 'debug=vc' generates the output on the console and he is sleeping but it
> goes by too fst to see what went on so I want to look at the output.

Found what happens: the root device is not /dev/hda6 but /dev/sda6,
after 3 minutes he drops you into a shell and you can look around. Neat
tool. And the reason for all this came out negative: sensors-detect
still finds no sensors... :-(

Hugo