From: Johnny Rosenberg on
2010/4/21 Carl Shewmaker <shewmakercw(a)sbcglobal.net>:
> I need to insert a degree sign in several places in a document I'm composing in OOo 2.4 on an HP mini running Ubuntu, and have run out of ideas.  Gotta be an easy way.  Any help appreciated.
> Carl

Since you have Ubuntu, why not use the compose key?
Compose o o → °

Depending on what keyboard layout you have I guess the character could
be available more directly. I created my own, so I have it at AltGr+o
and it's available on the Swedish standard layout and many other
layouts. Not the US standard layout though, which seems to be very
poor. Doesn't seem that US keyboards even have an AltGr key at all…
but as long as you have a key over that you don't need you can
configure it to be, for example, right Alt key or something.

If you are planning to type temperatures, you maybe should know that
Unicode characters are available for ℃ and ℉. ℃=Ctrl+Shift+u 2103 ↵,
℉=Ctrl+Shift+u 2109 ↵. (↵ is the Enter key).

Another way to insert special characters, especially if they stand
alone (space special_character space), is to use auto correction. For
example ”degr.” could be automatically replaced by a ° and so on. Just
make your replacement table as you wish.
(c) → ©
inf. → ∞
(p) → ℗
.... → …
and so on…

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Regina Henschel on
Hi Andrew,

Andrew Jensen schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> Well, fired up my HP mini and OO.o 2.4
>
> Try as I might can't get those unicode characters to show up via the
> keyboard - but using insert->Special Character and selecting DejaVu Sans for
> a font, there they are, right where they should be. The glyph for u+2070
> looks like a degree sign to me.

No, U+2070 is the superscript zero. The degree sign is at U+00B0
(decimal 176).

kind regards
Regina

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Robert Funnell on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Carl Shewmaker wrote:

> 2.4 has an amazing array of symbol choices, and after your response to my first post I explored each of them, but could not find a degree sign.� I did find a degree sign in 3.1 running on an HP Pavilion notebook in my office using Vista (not remarkably stable).� It follows the basic alphabet in Latin-1.� I copied it to a blank document on the Pavilion, saved it to an XP machine on my lan, copied the document from there and pasted to my mini, where I can use it to copy and paste the degree sign into 2.4 documents.� A satisfactory work-around for now.� When the rush is over, I plan to back up my mini to an external hard drive and install the latest 3 version.
> Thanks,
> Carl

As I mentioned earlier, I see a degree sign in my OOo 2.2 (under
Debian) but it depends on the font, not on the OOo version. What font
are you using?

- Robert

From: Joe Smith on
On 04/21/2010 02:25 PM, Carl Shewmaker wrote:
> I need to insert a degree sign in several places in a document I'm
> composing in OOo 2.4 on an HP mini running Ubuntu, and have run out
> of ideas. Gotta be an easy way. Any help appreciated. Carl

Does your mini include the Gnome Character Map utility? If so, you may
want to take a look at it--it contains a wealth of information and has
better usability than OOo's Insert > Special Character dialog.

In Fedora, it's in the main desktop menu under Applications >
Accessories > Character Map.

The actual binary is /usr/bin/gucharmap

See http://live.gnome.org/Gucharmap for more.

If you often need to insert the character, you may want to define a
replacement (Tools > AutoCorrect > Replace) or an AutoText (Edit >
AutoText); I use it often enough that I just memorized Ctrl+Shift+U b0
(space).

<Joe

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 04/21/2010 02:58 PM, Andrew Jensen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Joe Smith <jes(a)martnet.com> wrote:
>
>> /usr/bin/gucharmap
>>

> It does not appear to have it by default - and checking now, nor does it
> seem to offer it from the HP repository.
>
> This lack of tools in the repository seems to be the weakest link with this
> system...

$ apt-cache policy gucharmap
gucharmap:
Installed: 1:2.28.0-0ubuntu1
Candidate: 1:2.28.0-0ubuntu1
Version table:
*** 1:2.28.0-0ubuntu1 0
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com karmic/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gucharmap

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org