From: Johnny Rosenberg on
2010/4/22 jonathon <jonathon.blake(a)gmail.com>:

> Carl Shewmaker wrote:
>>  Gotta be an easy way.  Any help appreciated.
>
> a) Quick and dirty: record a macro of the degree sign. Assign it to a
> function key, then hit the function key every time you want to use the
> macro;
>
> b) Map a glyph on your keyboard to the degree sign;
>

> jonathon

Since the unicode for the ° seems to be b0 (hex) and since the op
seems to use Ubuntu, I think the easiest thing to do is either to do
the Ctrl+Shift+u b0 Enter thing, or the Compose key o o thing. The
Ctrl+Shift+u thing works out of the box, while the Compose key thing
perhaps needs you to do some easy settings, like deciding which key is
the compose key. I use Caps Lock for it, since it's a totally useless
key anyway. So in my case I press Caps Lock, release it, then press o
twice. Then the ° appears. Caps Lock o c gives a ©, Caps Lock % o
gives a ‰ and so on. To set which key is the compose key, click
[System → Preferences → Keyboard → Layouts → Layout options… →
Position for the Compose key] (or something like that – I have the
Swedish version of Ubuntu so I just translated from Swedish).

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: jonathon on

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Alexandro Colorado on
I think OOo had a special symbol panel in writer.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: RA Brown on
Carl Shewmaker wrote:
> I need to insert a degree sign in several places in a document I'm composing in OOo 2.4 on an HP mini running Ubuntu, and have run out of ideas. Gotta be an easy way. Any help appreciated.
> Carl

Carl,

Does 2.4 not have the Insert > Special Character option? If so you
should be able to use it to insert, based on the font used, just about
any thing you want.

Andy

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Robert Funnell on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Carl Shewmaker wrote:

> I need to insert a degree sign in several places in a document I'm composing in OOo 2.4 on an HP mini running Ubuntu, and have run out of ideas.� Gotta be an easy way.� Any help appreciated.
> Carl

In OOo 2.2 Writer under Debian: Insert > Special character. In the
dialogue box that comes up, make sure you select a font that contains
the required symbol (e.g., Times New Roman) and then look for what you
want in the array of characters. I see the degree symbol in the 8th
row.

Or are you looking for a shortcut?

- Robert