From: Masoud on
Hello

I want to design my database for inserting records in 2 separate tables and
after make search event for searching in both tables and retrieve records.
Table 1 contains these fields:

Proj id: 2042
Field code: COM
Discipline: MG
Title: test 1
Doc Type: PR
Serial: 0002
Doc No: concatenated by Proj id+"-"+ Field code+"-"+ Discipline+"-"+ Doc
Type+"-"+ Serial and result should be some thing: 2042-COM-MG-PR-0002
Value of Doc No has been made by coding when inserting records in the form.

Table 2 contains these fields:

Projid: 2042
Doc Type:DW
Unit: 114
Title:
Material Code: 1431
Serial: 0002
Doc No: Doc Type+"-"+ Projid+"-"+ Unit+"-"+ Material Code+"-"+ Serial and
result should be some thing like: DW-2042-114-1431-0002
Value of Doc No has been made by coding when inserting records in the form.
Now I want to make a form for inserting these records in the tables, how I
can do it? I mean with 1 form we can do it?
Also for searching in 2 tables and retrieving records into 1 form what I
have to do?
Thanks in advanced.

From: mie via AccessMonster.com on
>can do it? I mean with 1 form we can do it?
Sure you can but with extra codes and unbound form only.

But before that, i think you should 'Normalize' your table properly..
I see duplicate fields in each table. Depend on your tables design,
you can avoid 'extra codes' and complex query design.. my 2 cent

From: BruceM via AccessMonster.com on
You have asked this question, and received at least one reply, in the
Database Design group. Please do not multi-post. If you think it is
absolutely necessary you can post the same message to two or more groups at
the same time (cross-post), but you waste everybody's time by multi-posting.
If you posted again because you had not received a reply in the other thread,
be aware that this is a volunteer newsgroup, and you should wait 24 hours
before posting again. If you posted here because you thought it a more
appropriate place than Database Design for the question, mention at the
Database Design question you originally posted that you have moved the
discussion to another group.