From: janine Giganti on
our old IT guy set this up. how do i disable it with out messing up our email?

bob.smith.018 wrote:

Exchange Server 2003 Smart Host
07-Jan-08

Hi All,

Would appreciate any help available:

Please correct me if I am wrong: A Smart Host on the SMTP Connector of
Exchange Server 2003 on SBS allolws me to specify an outgoing SMTP
server, rather than using my own Exchange server to send the email
out. In other words, I can forward all of my outgoing mail to say,
Google's SMTP server, and have them send the mail out rather than us
sending the mail out.

Therefore, how would I go about configuring a Smart Host to deliver
mail in the following scenario:

1 We POP the mail from our mail server
2 We send messages out using a different (external) mail server with
its own SSL port and requires authentication

Appreciated,

Thanks.

On Monday, January 07, 2008 9:47 PM
bob.smith.018 wrote:

Exchange Server 2003 Smart Host
Hi All,

Would appreciate any help available:

Please correct me if I am wrong: A Smart Host on the SMTP Connector of
Exchange Server 2003 on SBS allolws me to specify an outgoing SMTP
server, rather than using my own Exchange server to send the email
out. In other words, I can forward all of my outgoing mail to say,
Google's SMTP server, and have them send the mail out rather than us
sending the mail out.

Therefore, how would I go about configuring a Smart Host to deliver
mail in the following scenario:

1 We POP the mail from our mail server
2 We send messages out using a different (external) mail server with
its own SSL port and requires authentication

Appreciated,

Thanks.

On Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:18 AM
kj [SBS MVP] wrote:

Re: Exchange Server 2003 Smart Host
bob.smith.0182(a)gmail.com wrote:

Well your sort of in the ballpark, but your "smarthost" is a 'service'
usually provided by your ISP and one that doesn't just accept mail from
anyone (like spammers). Usually your ISP limits it to source IP addresses on
it's networks (static or dynamic). Check with your ISP which may provide a
smarthost for use, sometimes for a slight fee.

Exchange has no provision for smarthost SSL, alternate ports, or
authenticated connections (at least that I am aware of).

--
/kj

On Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:40 AM
Austin Smith wrote:

hey there!
hey there!

Check your system manager; adminisitrative groups; server; protocols; smtp.
You should be able to find some settings in the smtp virtual instance when
you right click (Context menu) and select properties.

Are you trying to use gmail for your domain email hosting?

Thanks,
Austin Smith, A+, MCP
Digital Son, I.T. Services

<bob.smith.0182(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 09, 2008 4:31 AM
v-terli wrote:

Hello Bob,Thank you for posting here.
Hello Bob,

Thank you for posting here. Let's also thank Kevin and Austin for the input.

According to your description, I understand that you want to enable SSL for
the SMTP connector to delivery email to Google Mail. If I have
misunderstood the problem, please don't hesitate to let me know.

The Google Mail enable SSL SMTP connection for clients to connect but not
for Exchange server. Google Mail is not ISP, and not a Smart Host provider.

Kevin is correct, Exchange do not support SSL for SMTP or SMTP connector.
The Exchange only support TLS for that. The TLS and the SSL are all used
for encryption SMTP traffic, TLS for server to server, SSL for client to
server. Therefore, you will find the SSL options available in Outlook, but
you can only find TLS in SMTP connector.

Based on my research, we can only enable TLS for SMTP connector to encrypt
the SMTP traffic:

The use of the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol over SMTP offers
certificate-based authentication and helps provide security-enhanced data
transfers by using symmetric encryption keys. In symmetric-key encryption
(also known as shared secret), the same key is used to encrypt and to
decrypt the message. TLS applies a Hash-based Message Authentication Code
(HMAC). HMAC uses a hash algorithm in combination with a shared secret key
to help make sure that the data has not been modified during transmission.
The shared secret key is appended to the data to be hashed. This helps
enhance the security of the hash because both parties must have the same
shared secret key to verify that the data is authentic.

Enable TLS on SMTP connector in SBS:

1. Install an X.509 server certificate on the server.

For more information about X.509 certificates, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
319574 How to use certificates with virtual servers in Exchange 2000 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319574/

2. Enable TLS on the SMTP connector with smarthost configured. To enable
TLS encryption, right-click the SMTP connector, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab, click Outbound Security, and then click to select
the TLS Encryption check box.

3. Restart SMTP service and Routing Engine service.

See the following article for details:
How to help protect SMTP communication by using the Transport Layer
Security protocol in Exchange Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829721

Additional info on TLS:
================
How to secure Simple Mail Transfer Protocol client message delivery in
Exchange 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319267

823024 How to Use Certificates with Virtual Servers in Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823024

329061 Exchange Server cannot communicate with non-TLS domains
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329061

I hope these steps will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<7cc6e4eb-1b40-4446-8561-215ed0929d0c(a)u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>
<3dbeca3f-451b-4cb9-a220-73d2ef4d5552(a)d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
02:25:04 GMT)
posting-host=203.126.97.229;
TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS02.phx.gbl!newsfeed0
0.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news.glorb.com!postnews.google.com!u10g2000prn
googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
smtp.
when> you right click (Context menu) and select properties.

On Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:45 PM
Austin Smith wrote:

While it would be nice to encrypt the communications between you and the smart
While it would be nice to encrypt the communications between you and the
smart host, its not necessary. think, when the mail leaves the smart host,
its going to be clear text anyways. Do not spin your wheels too much.. ;)
You should be able to get it workign using the smtp smarthost feature for
outbound mail; the process I described earlier, and retreive via pop3
connector. We have successfully configured this for a few clients, and it
works quite well! If you are just looking to cut down on spam, exchange has
some very powerful tools you can configure. Look into the receipient
policy, tarpitting, rdns lookups and rbl lookups on incoming mail. There is
also a 3rd party tool I am quite fond of: www.vamsoft.com. Using the
combined methods, I have been able to reduce spam to around 3 a week per
user!!!! They all get caught by the junk mail box also ;)

HTH,
Austin Smith, A+, MCP

<bob.smith.0182(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 8, 1:40 pm, "Austin Smith" <aus...(a)digitalson.com> wrote:

Hi Austin!

Thanks for the help guys. Yes, we are attempting to use Google hosted
domains to use gmail accounts (one of the main reasons being gmail's
good spam filters). according to gmail POP, we HAVE to use their SMTP
and POP3 servers for outgoing and incoming respective servers.
Additionally, they require SSL connections to their servers and
authentication. I figure that since Exchange has the option using the
Virtual SMTP Instance to activate a Smart Host it should be able to
forward all outgoing mail to their SMTP servers so we comply with
this?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers,

Bob

On Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:36 PM
v-terli wrote:

Hello Bob,Thank you for your update.Do you read my previous reply?
Hello Bob,

Thank you for your update.

Do you read my previous reply? I know you can get incoming email from
Google mail thru SSL POP3. Yes, the Exchange support SSL POP3 connection.
But as I know, the Exchange does not support SSL SMTP connection.
Therefore, we unable to send the outgoing email to Google mail thru SSL.
Smart host on Exchange also no help.

For detail information, please refer to my previous reply.

I hope that will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<d79daa70-79c2-415c-bee4-307b2c84ea42(a)e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>
<3dbeca3f-451b-4cb9-a220-73d2ef4d5552(a)d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
<7cc6e4eb-1b40-4446-8561-215ed0929d0c(a)u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>
02:27:25 GMT)
posting-host=219.79.215.190;
CLR
TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS02.phx.gbl!newsfeed0
0.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca
giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!e25g2000prg.googlegroups
com!not-for-mail
host,
;)
for
it
exchange has
?There is
when
of> > > Exchange Server 2003 on SBS allolws me to specify an outgoing SMTP

On Jan 8, 1:40=A0pm, "Austin Smith" <aus...(a)digitalson.com> wrote:

Hi Austin!

Thanks for the help guys. Yes, we are attempting to use Google hosted
domains to use gmail accounts (one of the main reasons being gmail's
good spam filters). according to gmail POP, we HAVE to use their SMTP
and POP3 servers for outgoing and incoming respective servers.
Additionally, they require SSL connections to their servers and
authentication. I figure that since Exchange has the option using the
Virtual SMTP Instance to activate a Smart Host it should be able to
forward all outgoing mail to their SMTP servers so we comply with
this?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers,

Bob

On Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:53 AM
bob.smith.018 wrote:

Re: Exchange Server 2003 Smart Host
On Jan 10, 6:45=A0am, "Austin Smith" <aus...(a)digitalson.com> wrote:
st,
;)
it
has
e is
en

Hey All,

Thanks for the help provided. Going through the settings that Google
Mail set for SMTP& POP3 delivery:

1. Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.gmail.com
2. Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
3. Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
4. Server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) for Incoming (POP3)
5. Server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) for Outgoing (SMTP)
6. Requirement that we MUST use Google servers for incoming (no
problem) and outgoing (problem??? :S)

So would I be able to achieve all of these things by utilising
Exchange's smarthost service? I realise that incoming (POP3) is all
fulfilled, so numbers 1 and 4 don't have to be worried about but what
about the rest?

Thanks for your help its much appreciated

Cheers,

Bob

On Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:26 PM
bob.smith.018 wrote:

Hi Terence,I have had a look through our Exchange Server as you suggested to
Hi Terence,

I have had a look through our Exchange Server as you suggested to the
SMTP Virtual Server as you suggested. I have further spoken to google
and they say that TLS encryption is accepted and conditions are:

smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use TLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587

If I do the following:

For Authentication and TLS
1. Default SMTP Virtual Server -> Right Click Properties
2. "Access" Tab
3. "Authentication"
4. Activate the "Basic Authentication" and click TLS Required

OR

1. Default SMTP Virtual Server -> Right Click Properties
2. "Delivery" Tab
3. "Outbound Security"
4. Select Basic Authentication (and type details)
5. Click TLS Required

Will the above solve the authentication and TLS encryption
requirement?

Additionally, to satisfy the TCP port requirement for sending to their
SMTP server, would this work:

1. Default SMTP Virtual Server -> Right Click Properties
2. "Delivery" Tab
3. "Outbound Connections"
4. Type in TCP Port

Would the above solve the TCP Port requirement?

Thanks very much for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob

On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:30 AM
janine Giganti wrote:

disable Exchange Server 2003 Smart Host
Our old network guy set this up. how do i disable it to the default?

Overriding Deserialization of Persisted Workflow Instances
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/40fe2b27-ef79-45d0-82e1-6eca3ed67df8/overriding-deserialization-of-persisted-workflow-instances.aspx
From: Hart on
My understanding is the "smart host" is the forwarding agent for the emails.
You still use your exchange server to send out emails, but instead of sending
them out directly, you send them to the smart host and let smart host send
them out. there are some benefits of doing so (you can search online if
interested), and some ISPs require to have a smart host (like mine),
otherwise all the outgoing emails will be blocked.

What is the particular reason you want to disable this?

From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
Hi:

Please note that this venue is due to be closed in a few days/weeks and you
will get much more attention in the new SBS Forum hosted by MS at the following
location.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

You can either use your web browser, or if you prefer to use your existing
(or different) nntp news reader you can use one of the official MS bridge
applications, or the combined one on codeplex.com

Official MS Bridge - Note two required.
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Codeplex nntp bridge - only one required.
http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

-Larry
-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.
-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

> [...]
>
> For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly.
> Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone
> numbers.
>
> Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.

> rights.
>
> --------------------
> <7cc6e4eb-1b40-4446-8561-215ed0929d0c(a)u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>
> <3dbeca3f-451b-4cb9-a220-73d2ef4d5552(a)d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
> 02:25:04 GMT)
> posting-host=203.126.97.229;
> TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS02.phx.gbl!new
> sfeed0
> 0.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news.glorb.com!postnews.google.com!u10g2
> 000prn
> googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
> smtp.
when>> you right click (Context menu) and select properties.
when>>

> [...]
> <7cc6e4eb-1b40-4446-8561-215ed0929d0c(a)u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>
> 02:27:25 GMT)
> posting-host=219.79.215.190;
> CLR
> TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS02.phx.gbl!new
> sfeed0
> 0.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nn
> tp.dca
> giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!e25g2000prg.googleg
> roups
> com!not-for-mail
> host,
> ;)
> for
> it
> exchange has
> ?There is
> when
of>>>> Exchange Server 2003 on SBS allolws me to specify an outgoing
of>>>> SMTP
of>>>>