From: "Lars Zimmer" on
Hello from Germany,

is there a free open source programm like Dreamweaver or Frontpage from Mozilla available?

Best regards, Lars

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Michael Adams on
On Thursday 22 July 2010 18:59, Lars Zimmer wrote:
> is there a free open source programm like Dreamweaver or Frontpage from
> Mozilla available?

I'm sure you meant *OpenOffice.org* instead of Mozilla?
There is Writer/Web, when in Writer select "File - New - HTML Document" (from
memory). The code produced is a bit messy, though not as bad as saving as
html directly from Writer or Microsoft Word. Running it through "HTML
Tidy"[1][2][3] should improve it.

However if you did mean *Mozilla*.
Back in the Netscape Navigator days there was Netscape Gold which came with an
Editor. This grew as Composer into mainstream Netscape Navigator along with
the Mail Client and anything else that Netscape could think of to throw in
for free and stop Microsoft from stealing the Internet.

When the product was open sourced as Mozilla Composer was still there. However
when Mozilla prized the product apart into Firefox and Thunderbird the Editor
was split off as NVu[4]. Composer still survives in Seamonkey V2.x[5], and
appears to be still under some active development. Development for NVu was
mainly left in the hands of one unpaid programmer and it languished a wee bit
in the mire over time. It has consequently been at version 1.0 for several
years. He changed direction a couple of years back trying to start from
scratch in XUL runner for Firefox then fell completely off my radar.

NVu meanwhile was picked up by another solitary programmer who decided to run
with it under the name of KompoZer[6]. This is still under active (part
time?) development.

*W3C*
The people who write the rules for the web also have an offering called
Amaya[7], which is both a browser and an editor. I would say it writes the
cleanest and fastest of all the open source GUI (X)HTML editors. As a trade
off it is the trickiest to learn to use.

Whichever method you go for:
* Try to check your web pages in as many browsers as possible. (Internet
Explorer 7.x and 8.x, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera and Amaya as a minimum -
Google is your friend)
* Understand that your fancy fonts will not be visible to everybody on the
web. The fancier they are the less visitors will see them as you intend.
* Try to learn some HTML and CSS in the process. It will make it easier for
you long term. There are more free resources available for Internet authoring
than anything else on the web bar none!
* Try to write WYSIWYM rather than WYSIWYG. It will result in less heartache.

HTH
--
Michael

[1] http://tidy.sourceforge.net/
Tidy is a nasty little bee to get up and running stand-alone. The simplest way
i find is through Firefox extensions like this one:
[2] http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/
[3] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/249/

[4] http://net2.com/nvu/

[5] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/features

[6] http://www.kompozer.net/

[7] http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Michael Adams on