From: Jay on
SQLIO++ will do.

I'm in a discussion where a guy is saying msdb is so busy, that local SCSI
drives don't have enough throughput and it has to be on the SAN (which is
RAID 5 BTW). I was suggesting to him to run SQLIOsim to see what the
monitors look like when the drive is hammered and to compare it to what he
sees in his production environment.

Jay

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
Why would MSDB be that busy? If it really is you might want to see why
because it shouldn't be under normal circumstances. SQLIOSIM simulates SQL
IO patterns but is not really a measurement tool per say. It is more to
hammer the array and see where it breaks. If you want to see how it actually
performs in general reads & writes use SQLIO.

From: Jay on
Sigh, that has basically been my argument. However, the guy has stuck to his
guns that his msdb is so active that the local drives aren't enough and that
it must be on the SAN for performance reasons.

The best I could think of was to stress a similar drive (and monitor it) to
show what off the shelf SCSI's can do on an internal controller and that
msdb activity just doesn't come close to the drive capacity. Perhaps SQLIO,
being simpler, would be better.

His DB seems to have a very large number of databases and each of these DB's
seem to have a lot of SQL Agent jobs that fire frequently. This combined
with heavy Message Broker activity is supposedly generating log writes,
reads and I have no clue what, to produce the "heavy activity" that requires
the SAN - which is RAID 5 BTW.

From: Andrew J. Kelly on
Your best option to begin with is to look at the virtual file stats to see
how much physical I/O msdb is actually doing over a given time period. It
will also tell you how long it is taking to read and write those I/O's and
you can see if it is too long or not. I guess he really doesn't understand
SAN's very well either because SAN's are notoriously slow for writing small
but frequent I/O's and direct attached drives will often outperform them
hands down. If you are processing lots of Service Broker messages then that
can explain some of the activity. But until you look at the file stats it is
hard to say if it is handling it properly or not.

From: Jay on
Do you know of a Microsoft whitepaper that talks about SAN's being slow on
small & frequent writes?

> Your best option to begin with is to look at the virtual file stats to see
> how much physical I/O msdb is actually doing over a given time period. It
> will also tell you how long it is taking to read and write those I/O's and
> you can see if it is too long or not. I guess he really doesn't understand
> SAN's very well either because SAN's are notoriously slow for writing
> small but frequent I/O's and direct attached drives will often outperform
> them hands down. If you are processing lots of Service Broker messages
> then that can explain some of the activity. But until you look at the file
> stats it is hard to say if it is handling it properly or not.
>
> --
>
> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
> Solid Quality Mentors
>
> "Jay" <spam(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
>> Sigh, that has basically been my argument. However, the guy has stuck to
>> his guns that his msdb is so active that the local drives aren't enough
>> and that it must be on the SAN for performance reasons.
>>
>> The best I could think of was to stress a similar drive (and monitor it)
>> to show what off the shelf SCSI's can do on an internal controller and
>> that msdb activity just doesn't come close to the drive capacity. Perhaps
>> SQLIO, being simpler, would be better.
>>
>> His DB seems to have a very large number of databases and each of these
>> DB's seem to have a lot of SQL Agent jobs that fire frequently. This
>> combined with heavy Message Broker activity is supposedly generating log
>> writes, reads and I have no clue what, to produce the "heavy activity"
>> that requires the SAN - which is RAID 5 BTW.
>>

>> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam(a)shadhawk.com> wrote in message
>>> Why would MSDB be that busy? If it really is you might want to see why
>>> because it shouldn't be under normal circumstances. SQLIOSIM simulates
>>> SQL IO patterns but is not really a measurement tool per say. It is more
>>> to hammer the array and see where it breaks. If you want to see how it
>>> actually performs in general reads & writes use SQLIO.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
>>> Solid Quality Mentors
>>>
>>> "Jay" <spam(a)nospam.org> wrote in message

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Create Account
Next: sys.dm_exec_query_stats