From: Andrew J. Kelly on
I don't think you will find an MS whitepaper on something like that. For one
there are too many variables and performance depends greatly on
configuration and load type. But there is no question that disk for disk a
SAN will never beat the performance of direct attached storage. The
advantages of the SAN are that it is more flexible and scalable in terms of
number of spindles and such. But the biggest down side is that it is
overrated and usually shared with other heavy loads. You might want to have
a look at these:

http://sqlblogcasts.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=san+performance

But don't underestimate the virtual file stats and what that can give you.
It will tell you if you are waiting or not.

--

Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

From: Jay on
I'll check the link out later, for now, I'm looking at:

select db_name(mf.database_id) as databaseName, divfs.file_id,
mf.physical_name,
num_of_reads, num_of_bytes_read, io_stall_read_ms, num_of_writes,
num_of_bytes_written, io_stall_write_ms, io_stall,size_on_disk_bytes
from sys.dm_io_virtual_file_stats(null,null) as divfs
inner join sys.master_files as mf
on mf.database_id = divfs.database_id
and mf.file_id = divfs.file_id

While it is clear this is what you're refering to, I would like to be sure
I'm reading the output right. Unfortunatly, I'm having a little trouble. But
that may be because I only have my home system to look at right now.

From: Jay on
Just got though some of the links, OH MY!

Just one question, when building a cluster, is there an alternative to a
SAN?

From: TheSQLGuru on
You need shared disk of some sort for a cluster. IIRC HP's MSA series are
certified for this kind of implementation, as are other
'semi-direct-attached' enclosures.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: TheSQLGuru on
What I recommend is doing a differential analysis of the io stalls. They
are cumulative, and thus can mask real problems if those are of an
intermittent nature (which they almost always are).

Put your values in a temp table, waitfor delay 'someperiod', now join
current io stall output to the temp table and do a diff based on the time
spread. gets you actual period-based values which are much more meaningful
because you can run for say 5 or 10 minutes during a period you know to be
high-activity.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

> I'll check the link out later, for now, I'm looking at:
>
> select db_name(mf.database_id) as databaseName, divfs.file_id,
> mf.physical_name,
> num_of_reads, num_of_bytes_read, io_stall_read_ms, num_of_writes,
> num_of_bytes_written, io_stall_write_ms, io_stall,size_on_disk_bytes
> from sys.dm_io_virtual_file_stats(null,null) as divfs
> inner join sys.master_files as mf
> on mf.database_id = divfs.database_id
> and mf.file_id = divfs.file_id
>
> While it is clear this is what you're refering to, I would like to be sure
> I'm reading the output right. Unfortunatly, I'm having a little trouble.
> But that may be because I only have my home system to look at right now.
>
> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam(a)shadhawk.com> wrote in message
>>I don't think you will find an MS whitepaper on something like that. For
>>one there are too many variables and performance depends greatly on
>>configuration and load type. But there is no question that disk for disk a
>>SAN will never beat the performance of direct attached storage. The
>>advantages of the SAN are that it is more flexible and scalable in terms
>>of number of spindles and such. But the biggest down side is that it is
>>overrated and usually shared with other heavy loads. You might want to
>>have a look at these:
>>
>> http://sqlblogcasts.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=san+performance
>>
>> But don't underestimate the virtual file stats and what that can give
>> you. It will tell you if you are waiting or not.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
>> Solid Quality Mentors
>>
>> "Jay" <spam(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
>>> Do you know of a Microsoft whitepaper that talks about SAN's being slow
>>> on small & frequent writes?
>>>
>>> "Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam(a)shadhawk.com> wrote in message

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Create Account
Next: sys.dm_exec_query_stats