From: otis on
can we safely delete all the $NTuninstal...$ s and the $hf_mig$
folders?

if so, why don't they show up in the Add/remove programs, or Disk Cleanup?

Thanx
From: Bert Kinney on
Hi Otis,

The $NTUninstallKBxxxxxx$ or $NTUninstallQxxxxxx$ folders are backups
of
system files that were replaced when you installed various hotfixes.
If
your system is stable, and you don't need to remove the hotfixes,
these
folders can be removed. For an automated utility to clean up these
folders
and the associated Add/Remove Programs entries, see www.dougknox.com,
Win XP
Utilities, Remove Hotfix Backup Files.

The $hf_mig$ should *NOT* be removed.
<snip from the following KB Article>
When a security update, critical update, update, update rollup,
driver, or feature pack installs GDR version files, the hotfix files
are also copied to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder. This supports
migration to the appropriate files if you later install a hotfix or
service pack that includes earlier versions of these files. For
example, consider the following scenario:
1. You apply a security update that installs a GDR version of File.dll
with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 and copies a hotfix version of
File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 to the
%windir%\$hf_mig$ folder.
2. You apply a hotfix that includes a hotfix version of File.dll with
a version number of 5.2.3790.0000.
In this scenario the hotfix installation in step 2 installs the hotfix
version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.1000) from the
%windir%\$hf_mig$ folder instead of the hotfix version of File.dll
(version number 5.2.3790.0000) from the hotfix package.
Description of the contents of WinXP SP2 and Windows Server 2003
software update packages
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824994

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

From: otis on
outstandingly lucid and complete answer Bert. Ernie would be proud!!!!

Thanx,