From: Laurie on
with the last few months I have started receiving "Unable to locate component
MSCTF.dll (errors.). Reinstalling the application may fix this problem".
This happens on start-up, then immediately I get another error regarding
ctfmon.exe. I have used this computer for 5 years. MDG was original
installer of XP. I have been signed up for automatic MS updates. I use Norton
Security 2008(, but this problem started with McAffee Security in May) , PLUS
Spybot Search and Destroy, Auglogics registry defrag, CrapCleaner, & Spyware
Blaster. I am absolutely convinced that this removal of MSCTF.dll was CAUSED
by MS auto-updates, as I have done nothing different from what I have done
for the past 5 years. MS Customer Service is giving me nothing but the "call
your manufacturer, and don't bother us unless you want to pay 59 bucks". MDG
says I am outside of warrantee. I have checked on the MS websites for
anything to do with MSCTF.dll and ctfmon.exe, and cannot find anything of
help. I have tried to reinstall Office, as well. I have tried to find a way
to re-install MSCTF.dll, with no luck...There are a few other errors occuring
upon startup of MSN, as well, but I believe they are subsequent to the
missing MSCTF.dll.
HELP HELP...does anybody know what's going on????
Thanks
From: Andrew E. on
Locate the .dll or file from youre xp cd,once found,L.click on it,select
"copy"
from L.side sub-menu,copy to windows on C: drive,xp will,or should install it
auto.

From: Laurie on
Hi Andrew

Thanks so much for trying to help. However, unfortunately when MDG
pre-installs XP on a computer, they don't give you a copy of the CD.... Way
back then, I had no idea that I should request such from them. Heck, I didn't
even know a week ago! I was talking to a computer savvy friend from work,
and he says these vendors quite often don't give you the CD as it is cheaper
for them somehow....
There's another post from SAndy58 referring me to a website specific to this
problem, but I'm not computer-savvy enough to know if I would be protected
from Trojans if I open my computer up to them.

Anyway, do you think that MS Auto-updates caused this problem, somehow?

Thanks again,
Laurie

From: Laurie on
Hi Andrew and Sandy58

"I first noticed the MSCTF.DLL problem right after the MS auto update of SP3
for XP - approx May 2008 so I am more than ever convinced that it is MS Auto
Updates that have screwed my system up.

The version of msctf.dll I downloaded from the site referenced by sandy58
(http://www.dlllab.com/msctf.dll_download.html) is from about 4 years ago -
dated May 2004.

I have 2 questions:

1) if I were to copy the downloaded MSCTF file into C:\WINDOWS per
Andrew_E's suggestion would that be enough? or would I need other files?
(your answer assumed I had the original install CDs which I don't).
2) would copying (installing) this 4 year old file make more of a mess than
I already have?"

Thanks guys
Laurie

From: Laurie on
Hello Everyone:

With the help of a friend, I have now read about the SP3 install and the
precautions that should be followed at the MS site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Because SP3 installed itself via Windows Auto Install without my knowledge
or input, I was unable to take any suggested precautions like turning off
anti-virus protection.

As mentioned on my previous post, I do not have install CD's (so cannot
reinstall) and have the XP home version (so cannot back out of SP3 to my
pre-update state - per info from the above site - Automated System Recovery
is not available on my version of XP).

Does anyone know if I can use the download method for re-installing SP3?
The auto update method is satisfied that SP3 has been installed on my
computer? I am wondering if I could just re-install SP3 taking all the
precautions that were not available to people like me who trust MS
auto-update."