From: Uwe on
Hi,

we have a small network with a NT domain. A XP Home SP2 computer - it was
not my decision to put a Home edition on the network - has to access a shared
printer on another PC. All other computers can access the shared printer on
this PC so that I think that the only problem is this XP home computer.

The problem is that this XP home PC does not see the NT domain after a
system start. But after some time the domain is visible with net view
/domain. The fact that the NT domain is not visible during startup results in
a failing net use lpt2: \\PC_with_the _shared_printe\shared_printer r command.

The first thing what I discovered is that ipconfig /all shows the node type
as "unknown". The solution of Microsoft is to set the EnableProxy value in
the registry to 0 or 1 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310570/en-us). This
has no effect on this PC, the node type is still "unknown". I could not find
a second solution. Also PCuck's Website has only this solution
(http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/address-resolution-on-lan.html).
Because the importance of a clean name resolution is often stressed I want to
have a clear value here. What I have to do?

The second thing is that browstat status shows:

Status for domain ktsntdom on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0094402A-76BF-48C6-B6B3-1B5BAD6C72FA}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: KTS9
Could not connect to registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build of
browser master: 5
Unable to determine server information for browser master: 5
2 backup servers retrieved from master KTS9
\\HOME
\\KTS9
There are 8 servers in domain ktsntdom on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0094402A-76BF-48C6-B6B3-1B5BAD6C72FA}
There are 2 domains in domain ktsntdom on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0094402A-76BF-48C6-B6B3-1B5BAD6C72FA}

KTS9 is a NT server so that we don't have Guest authentication here what
could cause the error = 5. Because none of the other computers show this
error with browstat, firewall and antivirus problems can be excluded on the
master browser, I think. I looked up the restrictanonymous setting on KTS9 -
it was not set. A browser conflict should be detectable with the output of
browstat. So I have checked all points from PChuck's website
(http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html). What else could cause this error?

What can cause the delay until the NT domain is detected? No other computer
has that delay!

Sorry for still not migrating to AD but I want to wait for a stable Windows
Server 2008. I t was not really necessary to migrate for me.

Thanks a lot.
Uwe
From: Robert L. (MS-MVP) on
Sounds like Master browser issue.
1. Do you have WINS server on NT.
2. Do you receive any error in Event Viewer on both NT and XP Home?
3. In the client computer, what do you receive if using net view \\KTS9?
4. If you turn off the XP home and restart the NT, what does the browstat
look like?
5. In most cases, Error 5 is permission issue or firewall issue. Double to
check them.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

From: Uwe on
1. I don't have a WINS server on NT, but now all nodes are configured for
name resolution with WINS. All node types are now of type Hybrid.
2. On XP Home there is absolutely no error, but on NT I have 4 errors after
startup with IDs 5719 and 10010. But from other computers this NT server is
always visible so I don't think that these entries have an effect.
3. I get system error 5. With the XP Home computer this is understandable,
because it cannot be a member of the domain (not supported). For me this was
never a problem because I can provide credentials with the net use command
(net use with credentials worked before). Is it also necessary to be a member
of the domain in order to execute browstat status?
4. No change. All the same.
5. There is no firewall on the NT server. Perhaps it is a permission issue
because the XP Home computer is not a member of the domain. I didn't see this
requirement in the documentation for browstat until now.

The main problem is that the domain is not visible some time after system
start. At least for the display of the domains and of the members of the
domains no permission is required because I can see them after some time.