From: alan_nordin on
Hello,
I believe I have a bad entry in Network Connections. This entry
is left over from a wireless network card which I have since removed.
When I attempt to disable the entry, I get the message ....

"It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is
currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation."

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this entry? The PC currently
takes a long time to boot and IE7 takes longer than it should to do
anything. I'm running Windows XP over top of Windows Me.

Thanks
Alan Nordin

alan_nordin(a)comcast.net
From: Jack (MVP-Networking). on
Hi
When Wireless cards are installed many times their software installs their
utility as well as entries in the Startup, and or the OS' Services.
Go through your system and make sure that nothing left behind and it is
running without the card actually bee there.
These two utilities (StartUp & Process Explorer) can help to find out the
components of the utility if they are still running.
http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#startup
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

From: Pavel A. on
What you describe is quite unusual.
Normally, a network device not connected to the
computer will not appear in Network connections and will not
cause delays at startup - no matter how it or it's
driver is broken.
So, you may have something else broken in the system;
it's hard to tell without looking at it.

Regards,
--PA

From: Steve Winograd on
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:20:46 -0500, alan_nordin(a)comcast.net wrote:

>Hello,
> I believe I have a bad entry in Network Connections. This entry
>is left over from a wireless network card which I have since removed.
>When I attempt to disable the entry, I get the message ....
>
>"It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is
>currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation."
>
>Does anyone know how I can get rid of this entry? The PC currently
>takes a long time to boot and IE7 takes longer than it should to do
>anything. I'm running Windows XP over top of Windows Me.
>
>Thanks
>Alan Nordin
>
>alan_nordin(a)comcast.net

Look for a corresponding device under Network Adapters in Device
Manager, and remove it if found. It might only appear if you start
the computer in Safe mode.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
From: alan_nordin on
Steve Winograd <bc070521m(a)comcast.net> wrote in

> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:20:46 -0500, alan_nordin(a)comcast.net wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>> I believe I have a bad entry in Network Connections. This
>> entry
>>is left over from a wireless network card which I have since
removed.
>>When I attempt to disable the entry, I get the message ....
>>
>>"It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is
>>currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation."
>>
>>Does anyone know how I can get rid of this entry? The PC currently
>>takes a long time to boot and IE7 takes longer than it should to do
>>anything. I'm running Windows XP over top of Windows Me.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Alan Nordin
>>
>>alan_nordin(a)comcast.net
>
> Look for a corresponding device under Network Adapters in Device
> Manager, and remove it if found. It might only appear if you start
> the computer in Safe mode.

Thanks guys, I'll give your fixes a try.

I think Pavel A. is right, having Windows XP run on top of
Windows Me is sure to slow things down. This wasn't by choice,
good ole Gateway did it to me, I bought the PC just after XP
came out, Gateway was unable to ship with XP installed and I
thought I would be getting a stand-alone XP CD in the mail.
Instead I get a version of XP tha has to installed on top of Me!
If I had known this I would have waited for XP stand-alone.
You may have heard me cussing when I opened the CD :)