From: gmck on

"rgb" wrote:

> when "close" last document, Word automatically "exits." Can I set Word to not
> close the program, though I have closed all documents? Thank you.

This response:
If you're talking Word 2007, go to Office (round button) | Word Options |
Advanced, and uncheck "show all windows in taskbar." (It's under the Display
section.)

You may find that you dislike not being able to select documents from the
taskbar and having to use the View ribbon instead, though.

was very helpful. I ws able to address the View ribbon issue by adding the
"Switch Windows" button to the Quick Access Toolbar.