From: JohnE on
Wow. Just had the boss stop and give me what he wants to do as it comes to
those who submit requests. When a person submits a request, generally they
prioritize it (1, 2, 3, etc) based on their other submitted requests. This
priority number is stored in the db. It is possible that a user will review
their requests and want to reorder them. This is where the boss comes in.
He is looking at a method that will show a user all of their requests, and
eventually others, in priority order and allow the user to move (drag and
drop) the request and have it reprioritized (numbered) based on where the
user drops it on the list. The only one that I can think of as an example of
what he described is the Netflix que has this. Granted, theirs is not
Access. So, I am wondering if anyone has ever done something like this or
know of examples/samples to view?
Thanks.
John
From: Marshall Barton on
JohnE wrote:

>Wow. Just had the boss stop and give me what he wants to do as it comes to
>those who submit requests. When a person submits a request, generally they
>prioritize it (1, 2, 3, etc) based on their other submitted requests. This
>priority number is stored in the db. It is possible that a user will review
>their requests and want to reorder them. This is where the boss comes in.
>He is looking at a method that will show a user all of their requests, and
>eventually others, in priority order and allow the user to move (drag and
>drop) the request and have it reprioritized (numbered) based on where the
>user drops it on the list. The only one that I can think of as an example of
>what he described is the Netflix que has this. Granted, theirs is not
>Access. So, I am wondering if anyone has ever done something like this or
>know of examples/samples to view?

The first thing you need to do is explain to the boss that
Access does not support drag and drop within forms.

That may buy you some time to try to find a way to simulate
it using the MouseDown, MouseUp and MouseMove events.

A very important thing for you to remember is that a
relational database (Access or others) do not have a built
in way to order records. Records are only ordered (sorted)
by using a query with sorting on the value in specific
fields.

You must design things to have an exact method using data
fields to uniquely sort (all?) the records. From what you
said, this means you need to have not just a priority field
that each user can specify. You also need to guarantee that
a user can not assign the same priority to two different
entries. And, if there can be a prioritization across
different users, you need to have one or more grand priority
fields that can be used to sort all the records.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
From: Rob Parker on
Hi John,

Saw your post several days ago, but didn't know the answer. Today, I saw
another post asking about check-boxes for listboxes, and a reply said to
check out Stephen Lebans sample at http://www.lebans.com/vb_listbox.htm
I've just done so, and find that his modified listbox control supports
drag-and-drop. Seems to be the basis of what you're looking for. Hope
you've got good coding skills ;-)

HTH,

Rob

From: JohnE on

"JohnE" wrote:

> Wow. Just had the boss stop and give me what he wants to do as it comes to
> those who submit requests. When a person submits a request, generally they
> prioritize it (1, 2, 3, etc) based on their other submitted requests. This
> priority number is stored in the db. It is possible that a user will review
> their requests and want to reorder them. This is where the boss comes in.
> He is looking at a method that will show a user all of their requests, and
> eventually others, in priority order and allow the user to move (drag and
> drop) the request and have it reprioritized (numbered) based on where the
> user drops it on the list. The only one that I can think of as an example of
> what he described is the Netflix que has this. Granted, theirs is not
> Access. So, I am wondering if anyone has ever done something like this or
> know of examples/samples to view?
> Thanks.
> John

Gentlemen, thank you both for your replies to this 'a-hum' request.
Personally, I think this access app should be added to the webapp being
contructed in asp.net. This app is now going beyond the IT dept use and out
into the company to use. This is what prompted the big guy to come up with
this idea. Either way, thank you both for your replies.
.... John