From: Linus Torvalds on

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, "C. Bergstr�m" wrote:

> staging != stable

This really is being repeated, over and over. But it's irrelevant.

It's irrelevant because it's just a bad _excuse_.

That driver is used in production environments. That's _reality_. The
whole "staging" thing is nothing more than a meaningless word.

And no, "staging" wasn't why it was merged. The reason it was merged was
that very same "reality".

So every time somebody mentions staging as an argument, he's missing the
whole effing point.

It also misses the point that the issues I've tried to bring up
(bisection, testability) are real _technical_ arguments. Again, waving
that "staging" flag is just stupid. It has nothing to do with the
technical arguments, or with the reality of the situation.

In other words, it's not just an excuse, it's a _meaningless_ excuse. It's
a red herring. It's irrelevant to the issue.

Linus
From: David Miller on
From: Daniel Stone <daniel(a)fooishbar.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:17:54 +0200

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 06:37:18AM -0800, David Miller wrote:
>> If it effects such a large number of people, which this noveau thing
>> does, it's entirely relevant to everyone. And the way it's breaking
>> and making kernel development difficult for so many people matters to
>> us.
>
> Maybe the lesson to be learned from all this is, 'if the developers
> don't want something merged because they're not ready and forsee huge
> problems in the future, actually listen to them instead of blindly
> ramming it in regardless'? But maybe that's just me.

That's doesn't work, and it never will.

First of all, if we didn't merge the driver Fedora users wouldn't be
able to test the upstream kernel at all.

And if you think things through, there is one and onle one set of
actions that would have made things work properly.

And that's merge the driver upstream and not break user visible APIs.

In fact, I argue that the moment nouveau went into Fedora and
was turned on by default, the interfaces needed to be frozen.

Consider if it didn't go upstream and I want to do upstream
kernel development, ok so I patch the noveau-of-the-moment into
my upstream tree.

Six months and 10 DRM library updates later I go back and try to boot
that kernel. And it's not going to work.

So if the user visible APIs are changed in any set of situations
(upstream merged, not upstream merged, etc.) things can end up
breaking.

Ergo, you simply can't sanely do it at all. You have to have
a compatability story when you change these things.

Personally I wouldn't have ever committed to that "user visible APIs
can break cause it's in -stable." Because that's complete garbage.

From: Daniel Stone on
On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 06:37:18AM -0800, David Miller wrote:
> If it effects such a large number of people, which this noveau thing
> does, it's entirely relevant to everyone. And the way it's breaking
> and making kernel development difficult for so many people matters to
> us.

Maybe the lesson to be learned from all this is, 'if the developers
don't want something merged because they're not ready and forsee huge
problems in the future, actually listen to them instead of blindly
ramming it in regardless'? But maybe that's just me.

Cheers,
Daniel
From: David Miller on
From: Daniel Stone <daniel(a)fooishbar.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:40:09 +0200

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 07:26:12AM -0800, David Miller wrote:
>> In fact, I argue that the moment nouveau went into Fedora and
>> was turned on by default, the interfaces needed to be frozen.
>
> That's a matter for the Fedora kernel team; for better or worse, they
> made the choices they did, which included going through all the relevant
> pain to support this. They didn't consider it suitable for upstream
> because they didn't think everyone else should be forced to endure that
> pain.

By not merging it upstream the pain is larger not smaller.

It's enabled by default, so you therefore can't test upstream kernels
by default.

And as I showed already, even if you jump through the hoops to make it
work (building noveau from out of tree in the upstream kernel) you'll
end up getting screwed when the API changes anyways.

Using VESA or whatever else you've suggested is just not a reasonable
alternative.

You can't unleash something like this on a userbase of this magnitude
and then throw your hands up in the air and say "I'm not willing to
support this in a reasonable way."

We're better than that.
From: Alan Cox on
> Personally I wouldn't have ever committed to that "user visible APIs
> can break cause it's in -stable." Because that's complete garbage

Staging has to have the no API rules. Read some of the stuff in there to
understand why or apply about 30 seconds of thought to what it would mean
to you.

There are staging drivers using old wireless layers. If you say that no
API can be broken from staging then you will have to put the old wireless
compatibility into your network code forever. Does that fill you with
joy, light and happiness ?

Whether nouveau should ever have gone into staging is a different
question.

I don't personally think its all as clear cut as it might seem. Quite a
few distributions ship whacky wireless drivers with old API's as the
choice is that or nothing. They manage the user expectation and they deal
with the drivers moving from one wireless stack to the other and
mostly successfully hide it in userspace.

The differences here appear to be
- Having no video is more annoying than having no wireless
- Userspace failed to hide it (so maybe its not a kernel ABI problem but
a failure to anticipate the need for versioned libdrm and the
importance in some eyes of supporting the kernel.org kernel - which
like it or not is a corner case for distro *users*).
- The box it broke happened to belong to Linus

but that doesn't really require tantrums or fingerpointing to fix,
particularly when its only the combination of a set of decisions and
misunderstandings by Linus, Fedora and the Nouveau developers together
that combined to create the mess.

Alan