From: Corbin Simpson on
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Corbin Simpson
<mostawesomedude(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I was trying my hardest to not say anything, but...
>
> [blah blah Fedora blah Ubuntu blah staging blah blah]
>
> That said... Code probably is moving too fast inside nouveau. There is
> a bit of a wall to go through to get new patches upstream, which one
> would hope would inspire some developer restraint. intel and radeon
> both still have most (if not all) of the legacy code needed by ancient
> userspaces, and both DDX drivers are doing multiple-branch releases to
> keep old userspace interfaces alive for people unable to update their
> kernels. It might be useful for the nouveau guys to really seriously
> consider code before it leaves their trees and enters mainline;
> writing code that you won't commit to is quite lame for the obvious
> reasons, but also for some unobvious reasons, e.g. it makes you look
> like you don't actually know what you're doing and would rather just
> keep reinventing wheels without justifying and testing your design
> choices. (This is also why I was not exactly pleased with the
> suggestion of retooling all of the r600 userspace over a change to the
> CS system; we just spent the better part of a year moving everything
> over to CS!)

Strike this paragraph. After talking with the nouveau guys again, I
don't think they were doing anything out of the ordinary for staging
drivers. Frustrating, sure, but not anything worth a 200-post flame
war.

Also, I am a tool, don't know what I'm talking about, not actually a
nouveau dev, etc.

~ C.

--
Only fools are easily impressed by what is only
barely beyond their reach. ~ Unknown

From: tytso on
On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 11:38:46AM -0800, Corbin Simpson wrote:
> If distros want to run weird experiments on their users, let them!
> Sure, sometimes bad things happen, but sometimes good things happen
> too. ConsoleKit, DeviceKit, HAL, NetworkManager, KMS, yaird, dracut,
> Plymouth, the list goes on and on.

So what distro would you recommend for people who want to do kernel
development, do kernel testing, and do kernel bisects to help us find
bugs?

Are you basically saying, "Kernel people shouldn't use Fedora"? So
what should we use instead?

- Ted
From: Jonas Ritz on
guys...

Some stages of development of software requires the change API.

fx. the initial phase or clean up phase.

The use of software (or development of dependent software) requires a
predictable API.

To do both effectively, the community needs to invent a tool that keeps
track of what version userspace code the kernel needs, and a formalized
directory structure for staging/oldies code.
From: Tilman Schmidt on
From: Dale Farnsworth on
> read() still works the same way it did 30 years ago last time I
> checked.

seek() doesn't. :)

-Dale