From: Sergio Monteiro Basto on
Hi,

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 10:43 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> it difficult to have some libdrm that can handle both
> versions.

You shouldn't expect, by now, upgrade drm kernel without update libdrm
or at least recompile libdrm.
So when you saw a error message "driver nouveau 0.0.n+1 and have 0.0.n"
is completely right.
Is not a perfect world, but as talked on xorg mailing list, some time
ago, we do not have resources to test it in all versions.
Is better focus on just one combination.

Best regards,
--
Sérgio M. B.

From: Valdis.Kletnieks on
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 18:04:34 +0200, Daniel Stone said:

> So you're saying that there's no way to develop any reasonable body of
> code for the Linux kernel without committing to keeping your ABI
> absolutely rock-solid stable for eternity, no exceptions, ever? Cool,
> that worked really well for Xlib.

Amen to that. I can remember the X10.4->X11 conversion in 1987. And a heck of
a lot of source-level stability since then (even with the libX11 getting redone
with libxcb under it. 23 years and still going strong is one hell of a good run
for an ABI.

From: Linus Torvalds on

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:

> You shouldn't expect, by now, upgrade drm kernel without update libdrm
> or at least recompile libdrm.

Why?

Why shouldn't I expect that? I already outlined exactly _how_ it could be
done.

Why are people saying that technology has to suck?

> So when you saw a error message "driver nouveau 0.0.n+1 and have 0.0.n"
> is completely right.

No. It's _not_ right. The code knows what is wrong. Considering it a fatal
error is _stupid_ and bad technology, when it could have just fixed it.

> Is not a perfect world, but as talked on xorg mailing list, some time
> ago, we do not have resources to test it in all versions.
> Is better focus on just one combination.

This is not about "testing all versions". It's fine to have just one
combination. But why the hell doesn't it _load_ that one combination
instead of just dying?

IOW, there is a check for a version. It could - instead of dying - just
dlopen() the right version instead.

Why are people making excuses for bad programming and bad technology?

Linus
From: Sergio Monteiro Basto on
On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 09:40 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Why are people making excuses for bad programming and bad technology?

Is not bad technology is new technology, the API have to change faster ,
unless you want wait 2 years until get "stable" .

--
Sérgio M. B.
From: Linus Torvalds on

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 09:40 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Why are people making excuses for bad programming and bad technology?
>
> Is not bad technology is new technology, the API have to change faster ,
> unless you want wait 2 years until get "stable" .

F*ck me, but people are being dense.

With my suggestion, people could change the API _more_, because it
wouldn't be as painful.

This is not about "change the ABI or not". This is about "since you change
the ABI, do it _well_, so that it doesn't hurt people as much".

Linus