From: jan on
Hi,

I installed win 7 and opensuse 11.2 dvd both 64 bit version as dualboot.
I can't write to the win partitions from opensuse. Tried the live_kde
version and that worked, but when i installed that it didn't work either.
Any suggestions?

Jan
From: paul_0090 on
On 2009-11-22, jan <de.weerd(a)hccnet.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed win 7 and opensuse 11.2 dvd both 64 bit version as dualboot.
> I can't write to the win partitions from opensuse. Tried the live_kde
> version and that worked, but when i installed that it didn't work either.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Jan

Unless you change permissions somewhere, you need to be in su mode.

I installed win7 several days ago & am able to write to the win 7
partitions (11.2 & win7 = 64 bit); did that after exporting my
firefox bookmarks.html then went su to write the file to a win7
partition. Also had copied some mail from 11.2 to win7; access of
the win partitions shouldn't be any different

In the /etc/fstab, the windows partitions were set to auto mounted
during the 11.2 insta & I had set the various win7 partions to mirror
my win7 "drives"; think that the fstab can be modified to allow a user
to write to win7.

Oh, I have the win7 home premium 64-bit........and still reinstalling
all the apps then reinstalling the "service packs" for the different
apps. More pain than doing linux as linux don't rely on a "registery".
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 03:43:05 +0100, jan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed win 7 and opensuse 11.2 dvd both 64 bit version as dualboot.
> I can't write to the win partitions from opensuse. Tried the live_kde
> version and that worked, but when i installed that it didn't work
> either. Any suggestions?
>
> Jan

Get rid of windows and use the whole disc for suse - that works.

--
Neil
Reverse 'r and a' Delete 'l'
From: Jan de Weerd on
On 11/22/2009 06:30 PM, paul_0090 wrote:
> On 2009-11-22, jan <de.weerd(a)hccnet.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed win 7 and opensuse 11.2 dvd both 64 bit version as dualboot.
>> I can't write to the win partitions from opensuse. Tried the live_kde
>> version and that worked, but when i installed that it didn't work either.
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Jan
>
> Unless you change permissions somewhere, you need to be in su mode.
>
> I installed win7 several days ago & am able to write to the win 7
> partitions (11.2 & win7 = 64 bit); did that after exporting my
> firefox bookmarks.html then went su to write the file to a win7
> partition. Also had copied some mail from 11.2 to win7; access of
> the win partitions shouldn't be any different
>
> In the /etc/fstab, the windows partitions were set to auto mounted
> during the 11.2 insta & I had set the various win7 partions to mirror
> my win7 "drives"; think that the fstab can be modified to allow a user
> to write to win7.
>
> Oh, I have the win7 home premium 64-bit........and still reinstalling
> all the apps then reinstalling the "service packs" for the different
> apps. More pain than doing linux as linux don't rely on a "registery".

Thanks Paul,
I already tried to change permissions before but obviously did something
wrong. Now i investigated the possibility to change /etc/fstab and found
a solution. I changed for some windows partitions the dmask from 022 to
002. After reboot i can now write to the windows partitions without
being root.
Cheers.
Jan
From: Jan de Weerd on
On 11/23/2009 02:12 PM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 03:43:05 +0100, jan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed win 7 and opensuse 11.2 dvd both 64 bit version as dualboot.
>> I can't write to the win partitions from opensuse. Tried the live_kde
>> version and that worked, but when i installed that it didn't work
>> either. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Jan
>
> Get rid of windows and use the whole disc for suse - that works.

I will keep windows, but I have four disks. You are right if you have
one disk. I tried to install linux (several distro's) on a partition of
the drive where windows is installed, but that didn't work. So now I
have linux on the second disk and that works fine.