From: c d stravers on
I have installed openSUSE 11.2 on my laptop, acer aspire 5532.
I tried ealier version but they did not support my atheros ar8132
pci-e fast ethernet controller. Now I have purchased a wireless router,
Netgear wgr614, and it rock on windows 7, but not on openSUSE. The
atheros ar5b93 wireless adapter will get an DHCP address but it gets no
further. I cannot even ping my cable modem. I configured with manual
control because the network manager doesn't even support 64 bit WEP...

Any ideas??

C D Stravers ( cdstravers(a)NOSPAM.gmail.com )
From: paul_0090 on
On 2009-11-22, c d stravers <cdstravers(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed openSUSE 11.2 on my laptop, acer aspire 5532.
> I tried ealier version but they did not support my atheros ar8132
> pci-e fast ethernet controller. Now I have purchased a wireless router,
> Netgear wgr614, and it rock on windows 7, but not on openSUSE. The
> atheros ar5b93 wireless adapter will get an DHCP address but it gets no
> further. I cannot even ping my cable modem. I configured with manual
> control because the network manager doesn't even support 64 bit WEP...
>
> Any ideas??
>
> C D Stravers ( cdstravers(a)NOSPAM.gmail.com )

Proably the same bug I had with my wired connection. Looking at the
"/var/log/messages", I saw that I got the addr with dhcp4, another
whatever couldn't connect & so dhcp4 say "failed" & stopped.

The other connection was a "bridge" which I never installed nor saw!
Got into yast/hardware & saw the "bridge" & so deleted it. Success.
The "bridge" probably was due to my saying yes to using 11.2 as a
"virtual machine" as when I remember from playing with VM years ago.

Another problem with the same result is the /etc/hosts file. I saw
that the 127.0.0.2 was at the bottom after the ipv6 stuff & so moved
it to the top after 127.0.0.1 loopback; huge mistake as the same
effect was like the "bridge" above; dhcp4 running then stopped because
it couldn't connect the 127.0.0.2. Changed the 127.0.0.2 back to
bottom of the stack & everything worked!

However, a minor bug occurred sometimes/most times with a "failed"
connection for 127.0.0.1 BUT connected with 127.0.0.2 (the eth0).
As it is just a msg, no big problem. Think that the "failed" happens
after I rebooted the dlink router (dir 628) for the night by unplugging
& plugging the power; the DIR 628 has a huge problem with their
"dns relay" that allow the router to be used as the "dns server", the
only router I ever had a requirement that uses a "dns relay" setting to
do so; the netgear & trendnet just did the "relay" without requiring
any setting when the router was specified as the dns server.