From: King Of Fools on
On 17 Aug, 15:59, "R. Mark Clayton" <nospamclay...(a)btinternet.com>
wrote:
> "Hans Sluiman" <n...(a)this.address> wrote in message
> > My employer has issued new guidelines for doing a health and safety
> > related risk assessment for field work. Under the Communications heading
> > the document claims that999calls may be made via other networks if you
> > are in an area not covered by the network that issued the SIM.
>
> This is supposed to be coming in, but might not be fully operational yet
> see: -http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7932727.stm
> even then you would probably need a correctly configured dual band phone to
> reap maximum benefit.

The UK and Ireland have been urged to sign up for potentially life-
saving car accident technology which automatically alerts the
emergency services after a crash.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090909/tuk-uk-urged-to-adopt-crash-alert-plan-6323e80.html

I assume for this to work then UK networks would also need to allow
emergency call roaming.
From: iain on
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 06:22:15 -0700 (PDT), King Of Fools
<tobethekingoffools(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>The UK and Ireland have been urged to sign up for potentially life-
>saving car accident technology which automatically alerts the
>emergency services after a crash.
>
>http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090909/tuk-uk-urged-to-adopt-crash-alert-plan-6323e80.html

Governements are urged to sign up for various things all the time.
Well under 1% of them actually get anywhere.

>I assume for this to work then UK networks would also need to allow
>emergency call roaming.

No, I can't see why they would. Every car would have to have a mobile
phone built in, and presumably have to have an active sim for it to
make enough money for the networks. I can't see many people bothering
to pay for that.