From: JayB on
since i dont have one in front of me at the moment,
i cannot confirm for sure.
i have sold many of those dells, but never tried the connector myself.

there are mixed views on this.
and may be more than one type of connector floating around.
you are not the only one attempting this.
this product below boasts an adapter cable for this.
http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=235

From: Christopher Muto on
Nate Nagel wrote:
> I posted this before but got no reply... what cable do I need to use
> the eSATA capabilities of my Studio laptop? I believe that it is a
> 1555. Has what appears to be a combo USB/eSATA connector on the side of
> the case, but a eSATA cable does not fit, no way, no how. Link to a
> specific part that I could order would be greatly appreciated!
>
> thanks,
>
> Nate

the esata/usb connector provides the speed of esata and the power of
usb. it is intended to be used with esata/usb type devices, like
external hard disks with this same sort of port so that the one cable
provides both high esata transfer speeds and power to the external
device. the port can be used with a regular esata cable (when connected
to an external device that has its own power supply), or a standard usb
'a' plug. this type of port is probably not going to become popular as
usb 3 is on the horizon and is faster than esata as well as provides
power. if you cable doesn't fit then bring the laptop to the store
before you buy it. and if you want good answers to your questions then
make an effort to include the model of the computer you are talking
about as well as the external device that you are trying to attach.
From: Pen on
On 6/12/2010 11:08 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> I guess the reason I'm asking is, up until maybe 6 mos. ago,
> I didn't even have a computer with a SATA hard drive. I'm
> really not a techno-geek and I don't really know what I'm
> talking about... so I'm hoping someone can just tell me
> what to buy... would I need a special cable due to the
> combo connector, or *should* an eSATA cable work? I only
> have one cable, which I bought for some small amount of
> money at Micro Center, perhaps I got a cable with out of
> tolerance connectors?
>
> nate
>

> On 06/12/2010 11:05 AM, JayB wrote:
>> that is a 7-pin/4-pin esata/usb combo connector.
>> i assumed it should take both types of connectors.
>> look closely.
>> i dont have one currently in front of me.
>>

>> Nate Nagel wrote:
>>> I posted this before but got no reply... what cable do I
>>> need to use
>>> the eSATA capabilities of my Studio laptop? I believe
>>> that it is a
>>> 1555. Has what appears to be a combo USB/eSATA connector
>>> on the side
>>> of the case, but a eSATA cable does not fit, no way, no
>>> how. Link to a
>>> specific part that I could order would be greatly
>>> appreciated!
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Nate

I'm not sure how helpful this is but I discovered there at
least 3 different Esata connectors. There's one for the box
the drive is in, a second for the external connector on the
rear of the computer and a third for the Esata connector on
the mother board. I ended up with several extra cables in
trying to get my external box to work. The connectors look
similar but aren't. There are keying differences.