From: Nate Nagel on
subject says all... system is perfect except video card is dead. I
already baked it once, and it died again less than a month later. Is
there any inexpensive video card that will fit this laptop so I can pass
it on to someone (I've already purchased a replacement) or should I just
consign it to the junk pile?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
From: Ben Myers on
On 6/11/2010 8:39 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> subject says all... system is perfect except video card is dead. I
> already baked it once, and it died again less than a month later. Is
> there any inexpensive video card that will fit this laptop so I can pass
> it on to someone (I've already purchased a replacement) or should I just
> consign it to the junk pile?
>
> nate

It all depends on the cost of a replacement graphics card. Some of the
3rd party parts houses are selling them for over $200, your typical
unrealistic high price that corporate procurement departments and
government toilet seat purchasers are willing to pay. For me, the $200
is probably not worth it.

nVidia cards have the annoying habit for burning out. This may also be
exacerbated by the design of the air flow in the Precision M90.

Whatever you do, do not junk it. At worst, gift it to a small
independent local repair shop. You can send it to me, and I'll pay the
shipping, but it really is worth more than that... Ben Myers
From: Nate Nagel on
On 06/12/2010 02:03 AM, Ben Myers wrote:
> On 6/11/2010 8:39 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
>> subject says all... system is perfect except video card is dead. I
>> already baked it once, and it died again less than a month later. Is
>> there any inexpensive video card that will fit this laptop so I can pass
>> it on to someone (I've already purchased a replacement) or should I just
>> consign it to the junk pile?
>>
>> nate
>>

> It all depends on the cost of a replacement graphics card. Some of the
> 3rd party parts houses are selling them for over $200, your typical
> unrealistic high price that corporate procurement departments and
> government toilet seat purchasers are willing to pay. For me, the $200
> is probably not worth it.
>
> nVidia cards have the annoying habit for burning out. This may also be
> exacerbated by the design of the air flow in the Precision M90.
>
> Whatever you do, do not junk it. At worst, gift it to a small
> independent local repair shop. You can send it to me, and I'll pay the
> shipping, but it really is worth more than that... Ben Myers

If you're serious, would you be interested in the whole mess minus HDD
(because I have no way of removing all personal files, passwords, etc.
without booting it) but with a working d/dock or d/port? (bought them
used and cheap off eBay because they work on both my work laptop and the
M90, but now we're getting E-series laptops for work, the M90 is dead,
and I replaced it with a Studio something or other which has no docking
station connector.) It does not have the WUXGA screen but I do have a
memory upgrade for it. I basically just need to clean out all my
nonfunctional junk before my basement gets overrun with PC parts that
I'm not using.

I did a cursory search online, and found that all video cards listed to
fit were in the $2-300 range, the Studio was smaller, lighter, $600, and
had a full 1080p screen, the decision was easy.

nate

From: Christopher Muto on
Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 06/12/2010 02:03 AM, Ben Myers wrote:
>> On 6/11/2010 8:39 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
>>> subject says all... system is perfect except video card is dead. I
>>> already baked it once, and it died again less than a month later. Is
>>> there any inexpensive video card that will fit this laptop so I can pass
>>> it on to someone (I've already purchased a replacement) or should I just
>>> consign it to the junk pile?
>>>
>>> nate
>>>

>> It all depends on the cost of a replacement graphics card. Some of the
>> 3rd party parts houses are selling them for over $200, your typical
>> unrealistic high price that corporate procurement departments and
>> government toilet seat purchasers are willing to pay. For me, the $200
>> is probably not worth it.
>>
>> nVidia cards have the annoying habit for burning out. This may also be
>> exacerbated by the design of the air flow in the Precision M90.
>>
>> Whatever you do, do not junk it. At worst, gift it to a small
>> independent local repair shop. You can send it to me, and I'll pay the
>> shipping, but it really is worth more than that... Ben Myers
>
> If you're serious, would you be interested in the whole mess minus HDD
> (because I have no way of removing all personal files, passwords, etc.
> without booting it) but with a working d/dock or d/port? (bought them
> used and cheap off eBay because they work on both my work laptop and the
> M90, but now we're getting E-series laptops for work, the M90 is dead,
> and I replaced it with a Studio something or other which has no docking
> station connector.) It does not have the WUXGA screen but I do have a
> memory upgrade for it. I basically just need to clean out all my
> nonfunctional junk before my basement gets overrun with PC parts that
> I'm not using.
>
> I did a cursory search online, and found that all video cards listed to
> fit were in the $2-300 range, the Studio was smaller, lighter, $600, and
> had a full 1080p screen, the decision was easy.
>
> nate

to wipe the drive download a free utility called boot and nuke.
http://www.dban.org/download
the download is an 'iso' file which is an image file of a bootable cd.
dell's with roxio 8 and above are able to open the iso file and burn it
to a cd. then boot the computer from the cd and follow the very simple
prompts to wipe the machine to department of defense standards... it is
very easy but does take considerable time to complete on large drives.
From: Nate Nagel on
On 06/12/2010 05:25 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> It all depends on the cost of a replacement graphics card. Some of the
>>> 3rd party parts houses are selling them for over $200, your typical
>>> unrealistic high price that corporate procurement departments and
>>> government toilet seat purchasers are willing to pay. For me, the $200
>>> is probably not worth it.
>>>
>>> nVidia cards have the annoying habit for burning out. This may also be
>>> exacerbated by the design of the air flow in the Precision M90.
>>>
>>> Whatever you do, do not junk it. At worst, gift it to a small
>>> independent local repair shop. You can send it to me, and I'll pay the
>>> shipping, but it really is worth more than that... Ben Myers
>>
>> If you're serious, would you be interested in the whole mess minus HDD
>> (because I have no way of removing all personal files, passwords, etc.
>> without booting it) but with a working d/dock or d/port? (bought them
>> used and cheap off eBay because they work on both my work laptop and
>> the M90, but now we're getting E-series laptops for work, the M90 is
>> dead, and I replaced it with a Studio something or other which has no
>> docking station connector.) It does not have the WUXGA screen but I do
>> have a memory upgrade for it. I basically just need to clean out all
>> my nonfunctional junk before my basement gets overrun with PC parts
>> that I'm not using.
>>
>> I did a cursory search online, and found that all video cards listed
>> to fit were in the $2-300 range, the Studio was smaller, lighter,
>> $600, and had a full 1080p screen, the decision was easy.
>>
>> nate
>>

> to wipe the drive download a free utility called boot and nuke.
> http://www.dban.org/download
> the download is an 'iso' file which is an image file of a bootable cd.
> dell's with roxio 8 and above are able to open the iso file and burn it
> to a cd. then boot the computer from the cd and follow the very simple
> prompts to wipe the machine to department of defense standards... it is
> very easy but does take considerable time to complete on large drives.

Right... but I can't boot the machine because the video card is dead.
otherwise I'd do a restore on it and then it'd even have an OS installed.

nate