From: Christopher Muto on
Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 06/12/2010 05:25 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> If you're serious, would you be interested in the whole mess minus HDD
>>> (because I have no way of removing all personal files, passwords, etc.
>>> without booting it) but with a working d/dock or d/port? (bought them
>>> used and cheap off eBay because they work on both my work laptop and
>>> the M90, but now we're getting E-series laptops for work, the M90 is
>>> dead, and I replaced it with a Studio something or other which has no
>>> docking station connector.) It does not have the WUXGA screen but I do
>>> have a memory upgrade for it. I basically just need to clean out all
>>> my nonfunctional junk before my basement gets overrun with PC parts
>>> that I'm not using.
>>>
>>> I did a cursory search online, and found that all video cards listed
>>> to fit were in the $2-300 range, the Studio was smaller, lighter,
>>> $600, and had a full 1080p screen, the decision was easy.
>>>
>>> nate
>>>

>> to wipe the drive download a free utility called boot and nuke.
>> http://www.dban.org/download
>> the download is an 'iso' file which is an image file of a bootable cd.
>> dell's with roxio 8 and above are able to open the iso file and burn it
>> to a cd. then boot the computer from the cd and follow the very simple
>> prompts to wipe the machine to department of defense standards... it is
>> very easy but does take considerable time to complete on large drives.
>
> Right... but I can't boot the machine because the video card is dead.
> otherwise I'd do a restore on it and then it'd even have an OS installed.
>
> nate

not true. you can temporarily put the drive into another laptop ($0),
or get an adapter to connect the drive internally to a desktop PC ($3
delivered from ebay), or get a external usb enclosure to connect the
drive to a laptop or pc so you can wipe it ($10 delivered from newegg).
anything other than electronically wiping the drive only provides an
illusion of protecting the data or is a process that is very costly
(drive shredding or drive degausing). keeping the disk in a drawer for
ever is not exactly a solution either.
From: Nate Nagel on
On 06/13/2010 06:01 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> to wipe the drive download a free utility called boot and nuke.
>>> http://www.dban.org/download
>>> the download is an 'iso' file which is an image file of a bootable cd.
>>> dell's with roxio 8 and above are able to open the iso file and burn it
>>> to a cd. then boot the computer from the cd and follow the very simple
>>> prompts to wipe the machine to department of defense standards... it is
>>> very easy but does take considerable time to complete on large drives.
>>
>> Right... but I can't boot the machine because the video card is dead.
>> otherwise I'd do a restore on it and then it'd even have an OS installed.
>>
>> nate
>>

> not true. you can temporarily put the drive into another laptop ($0), or
> get an adapter to connect the drive internally to a desktop PC ($3
> delivered from ebay), or get a external usb enclosure to connect the
> drive to a laptop or pc so you can wipe it ($10 delivered from newegg).
> anything other than electronically wiping the drive only provides an
> illusion of protecting the data or is a process that is very costly
> (drive shredding or drive degausing). keeping the disk in a drawer for
> ever is not exactly a solution either.

I could use it for backups... that would be useful

and I figure if I'm giving away or practically giving away a busted
laptop whoever gets it won't really care whether it does or doesn't have
a completely blank HDD with it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
From: Christopher Muto on
Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 06/13/2010 06:01 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> Right... but I can't boot the machine because the video card is dead.
>>> otherwise I'd do a restore on it and then it'd even have an OS
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> nate
>>>

>> not true. you can temporarily put the drive into another laptop ($0), or
>> get an adapter to connect the drive internally to a desktop PC ($3
>> delivered from ebay), or get a external usb enclosure to connect the
>> drive to a laptop or pc so you can wipe it ($10 delivered from newegg).
>> anything other than electronically wiping the drive only provides an
>> illusion of protecting the data or is a process that is very costly
>> (drive shredding or drive degausing). keeping the disk in a drawer for
>> ever is not exactly a solution either.
>
> I could use it for backups... that would be useful
>
> and I figure if I'm giving away or practically giving away a busted
> laptop whoever gets it won't really care whether it does or doesn't have
> a completely blank HDD with it...
>
> nate

i think that you miss my point. best of luck with whatever you choose
to do.
From: Christopher Muto on

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/ghana804/video/video_index.html