From: Chris Allan on
On 2010-08-05 18:52:05 -0500, John Wolf said:

> My current procedure involves opening my editor, making a change, and
> then using my FTP app to do the upload. Unfortunately neither Sea
> Monkey nor Komposer have a built in FTP/like app for instant saving to
> the HTML server. I could use Text Wrangler which has a feature to save
> directly to the HTML server without bothering with the FTP app, but its
> a text based HTML editor, and I do not know HTML all that well, and why
> I prefer a Sea Monkey or Komposer like app. I have complained to both
> companies and neither seems interested in creating such a feature, as
> there are plenty of FTP apps for the Mac.
>
> I could launch the disk on my Mac desktop and edit from there, but that
> would mean that the versions would have to be synced all the time
> between the server and my desktop, and I have had issues with managing
> my website via the finder on the Mac.
>
> In the old days when I was using Tiger I would launch Claris Home Page,
> make the changes, and then upload directly to the server from within
> Home Page. I cannot do this anymore, as Snow Leopard wont let me run
> Classic.
>
> Ideas anyone? Thanks..
>
> My apps
>
> Sea Monkey
> Komposer
> Text Wrangler
> CyberDuck
> Fetch
>

> John

If you are willing to spend a bit of cash or take a rather piratical
route, you can use Dreamweaver to publish directly to your site.
Dreamweaver also has the benefits of being able to visually lay out the
webpage.

For a free solution, this is a decent guide to setting up an FTP share
as a local drive on OS X Snow Leopard using MacFUSE.
<http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/07/25/how-to-mount-a-remote-file-system-as-a-local-drive-in-os-x/>

Hope

this helps,
Chris

From: Rich Gray on
John Wolf wrote:
> My current procedure involves opening my editor, making a change, and
> then using my FTP app to do the upload. Unfortunately neither Sea Monkey
> nor Komposer have a built in FTP/like app for instant saving to the HTML
> server.

SeaMonkey 2.0.6 in Composer : Edit > Publishing Site Settings...

That what you are looking for? I use it to update a simple HTML
page of links via FTP.

> ... I have complained to both companies

The SeaMonkey team is not a company, just a group of individuals
working voluntarily (with the aid of Mozilla) to continue the suite
formerly known as Netscape and then the Mozilla Suite.

> and neither seems interested in creating such a feature, as
> there are plenty of FTP apps for the Mac. ...

Where did you complain?

Follow-ups set to comp.sys.mac.apps

Rich
--
SeaMonkey - Surfing the net has never been so suite!
From: Chris Allan on
On 2010-08-05 20:50:58 -0500, John Wolf said:

> On 8/5/10 8:24 PM, Chris Allan wrote:
>> If you are willing to spend a bit of cash or take a rather piratical
>> route, you can use Dreamweaver to publish directly to your site.
>> Dreamweaver also has the benefits of being able to visually lay out the
>> webpage.
>
> I wish I could afford that app.
>

>> For a free solution, this is a decent guide to setting up an FTP share
>> as a local drive on OS X Snow Leopard using MacFUSE.
>> <http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/07/25/how-to-mount-a-remote-file-system-as-a-local-drive-in-os-x/>

How

> is this different than WEBDAV? But I am downloading that app. Thanks!!
>

>> Hope
>> this helps,
>> Chris

I've been using Dreamweaver for a few years now and it really makes
getting a half decent website going a lot faster than it would be
otherwise. The method described in the article is different from
WebDAV in that it's not using the HTTP protocol. I've never had much
luck with WebDAV and I did not want to wish that possibility of
frustration upon you. I've found MacFUSE to be a much more reliable in
other applications (working with my linux system files upon a total OS
failure).

Good luck and happy web paging! :D

From: Matthew Lybanon on
In article <4c5b565b$0$16570$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
Chris Allan <chrisallan32%NOSPAM%@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-08-05 18:52:05 -0500, John Wolf said:
>
> > My current procedure involves opening my editor, making a change, and
> > then using my FTP app to do the upload. Unfortunately neither Sea
> > Monkey nor Komposer have a built in FTP/like app for instant saving to
> > the HTML server. I could use Text Wrangler which has a feature to save
> > directly to the HTML server without bothering with the FTP app, but its
> > a text based HTML editor, and I do not know HTML all that well, and why
> > I prefer a Sea Monkey or Komposer like app. I have complained to both
> > companies and neither seems interested in creating such a feature, as
> > there are plenty of FTP apps for the Mac.
> >
> > I could launch the disk on my Mac desktop and edit from there, but that
> > would mean that the versions would have to be synced all the time
> > between the server and my desktop, and I have had issues with managing
> > my website via the finder on the Mac.
> >
> > In the old days when I was using Tiger I would launch Claris Home Page,
> > make the changes, and then upload directly to the server from within
> > Home Page. I cannot do this anymore, as Snow Leopard wont let me run
> > Classic.
> >
> > Ideas anyone? Thanks..
> >
> > My apps
> >
> > Sea Monkey
> > Komposer
> > Text Wrangler
> > CyberDuck
> > Fetch
> >

> > John
>
> If you are willing to spend a bit of cash or take a rather piratical
> route, you can use Dreamweaver to publish directly to your site.
> Dreamweaver also has the benefits of being able to visually lay out the
> webpage.
>
> For a free solution, this is a decent guide to setting up an FTP share
> as a local drive on OS X Snow Leopard using MacFUSE.
> <http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/07/25/how-to-mount-a-remote-file-system-as-a-l
> ocal-drive-in-os-x/>
>
> Hope
>
> this helps,
> Chris

A less expensive (though less powerful) alternative to Dreamweaver is
the shareware program Page Spinner. It has some tools to make some
things easier, it lets yu view your page in the browser of yur choice
(or its built-in viewer), and has FTP.
From: BreadWithSpam on
Matthew Lybanon <lybanon(a)earthlink.net> writes:

> A less expensive (though less powerful) alternative to Dreamweaver is
> the shareware program Page Spinner. It has some tools to make some
> things easier, it lets yu view your page in the browser of yur choice
> (or its built-in viewer), and has FTP.

I think you may be wasting your time suggesting such sensible things to
John.

He's made it clear he doesn't want to spend even a small amount of money
to buy Rapidweaver or Sandvox or Pagespinner -- all of which are
available for less than $100 ($79, $57 and $29 respectively).

Instead, he wants to use free tools, lots of his apparently free time,
and ignore lots of great free advice here.

John - just buy a decent software package and stop wasting all of our
time.