From: Bob Villa on
On Feb 24, 7:00 am, "RnR" <rnrte...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> With the main purpose to save money say over 5 to 10 years, what do
> you think is the best way to prolong the life of a dell laptop (E1405)
> battery ?  After that time, I'd probably replace the laptop with a new
> one and want to use the same method to prolong its battery too.
>
> If it matters, I'd say I use this laptop 95% off the wall and use XP.
> Assume that my useage won't change and I'll stick with XP on this
> laptop.  Currently I have an old and newer battery but even the new
> one is deteriorating sitting most of the time on the shelf.  I use it
> mainly when I make the laptop portable.  Most of the time, I keep the
> old one in even tho it's only good for 5 to 10 minutes so it provides
> me the chance to save my work in case of a power outage.
>
> I would consider a UPS if that's what it takes to save money over the
> long haul but I know that its battery is good for 4 to 5 years before
> it needs replacement but I think their batteries are cheaper than the
> newer laptops. For this question, lets ignor the cost of electricity
> in case someone brings that up.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> ps-- maybe I need to consider a netbook in my future since my needs
> are not demanding <grin>

Yesterday it was $350 with Win7 64bit, 4Gb ram, and a 20" flat panel.
Sorry, things change fast!
From: RnR on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 06:24:47 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
<pheeh.zero(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 24, 7:00�am, "RnR" <rnrte...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> With the main purpose to save money say over 5 to 10 years, what do
>> you think is the best way to prolong the life of a dell laptop (E1405)
>> battery ? �After that time, I'd probably replace the laptop with a new
>> one and want to use the same method to prolong its battery too.
>>
>> If it matters, I'd say I use this laptop 95% off the wall and use XP.
>> Assume that my useage won't change and I'll stick with XP on this
>> laptop. �Currently I have an old and newer battery but even the new
>> one is deteriorating sitting most of the time on the shelf. �I use it
>> mainly when I make the laptop portable. �Most of the time, I keep the
>> old one in even tho it's only good for 5 to 10 minutes so it provides
>> me the chance to save my work in case of a power outage. �
>>
>> I would consider a UPS if that's what it takes to save money over the
>> long haul but I know that its battery is good for 4 to 5 years before
>> it needs replacement but I think their batteries are cheaper than the
>> newer laptops. For this question, lets ignor the cost of electricity
>> in case someone brings that up.
>>
>> What do you guys think? �
>>
>> ps-- maybe I need to consider a netbook in my future since my needs
>> are not demanding <grin>
>
>Yesterday it was $350 with Win7 64bit, 4Gb ram, and a 20" flat panel.
>Sorry, things change fast!

No problem but thank you Bob regardless. I really prefer laptops
nowadays but obviously I can see everything has a pro and con.
I still " like " your reference tho (perhaps for a future
consideration) unrelated to this thread. Thanks again.