From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Paul:
>An acid test, for example, is to do PIP on 1080p,
>and perhaps that is what you as a consumer have in mind,

It's not what I had in mind - being sufficiently clueless to not
have much of *anything* in mind... but it sounds like a good idea
for an acid test.

I copied a segment of an HD broadcast to my key fob/thumb drive
and next time I get to the local Micro Center, I'll try doing the
PIP thing and see how it renders.

Notably absent from Asus' attempt at specs is any mention of
"nVidia" or "GeForce"....
--
PeteCresswell
From: Foke on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:21:29 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote:

>... Or whatever it takes to render 1080 without overloading the
>CPU.
>
>Are we there yet?

Nope. To the best of my knowledge, no Eee PC has the screen real estate
to do 1080, much less the horsepower.

TBH, your query sounds a bit odd anyway. It's like asking if the smart
car ( http://www.smartusa.com/ ) can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. It
wasn't a design principle for the car and 1080 wasn't a design principle
for the Eee PC. It may well do 1080 some day, but by then it will just be
another down-sized laptop.
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Foke:
>TBH, your query sounds a bit odd anyway. It's like asking if the smart
>car ( http://www.smartusa.com/ ) can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. It
>wasn't a design principle for the car and 1080 wasn't a design principle
>for the Eee PC. It may well do 1080 some day, but by then it will just be
>another down-sized laptop.

Not weird in the context of my own use.

I really do use my 901 as a web book, but it has another use: as
a node for my TV system.

Mostly I watch TV on regular television sets that are fed by the
system, but at night I'll often watch a movie or the rest of some
show I didn't finish earlier in the day while laying in bed. No
hard drive, plenty battery life....

Works great except for HD shows. I can still watch them, but I
have to tell the system to down-level the rez on-the-fly.

No real loss for talking heads like Charlie Rose or Jay Leno...
but it falls short for movies where a certain level of detail and
ability to render lots of motion is needed.

It's still acting as a more-or-less-dumb terminal - just being
asked to render stuff that's beyond the capabilities of a
graphics engine that relies on the CPU.

Offloading that rendering to a dedicated chip would be an
improvement.

Dunno what it would do the power requirements though - and
economy of power use seems tb a key part of what makes something
a "web book" instead of a regular laptop.
--
PeteCresswell
First  |  Prev  |