From: (PeteCresswell) on
.... Or whatever it takes to render 1080 without overloading the
CPU.

Are we there yet?
--
PeteCresswell
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per (PeteCresswell):
>Are we there yet?

FWIW, I tried to answer my own question by going to
http://usa.asus.com/

Had forgotten how bad Asus's web site was the last time I visited
it and this time it seems to have gotten even worse.

I write computer applications for a living and make the majority
of my purchases from web sites - so I'm not exactly a virgin.

Without ranting on and on... I just can't find out what I want to
know from their site.
--
PeteCresswell
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per (PeteCresswell):

>Are we there yet?

After a little trial-and-error, it looks like this is the one for
watching HD movies:

http://promos.asus.com/US/EeePC_1005PR/ASUS_1005PR.html

True?
--
PeteCresswell
From: Paul on
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per (PeteCresswell):
>> Are we there yet?
>
> FWIW, I tried to answer my own question by going to
> http://usa.asus.com/
>
> Had forgotten how bad Asus's web site was the last time I visited
> it and this time it seems to have gotten even worse.
>
> I write computer applications for a living and make the majority
> of my purchases from web sites - so I'm not exactly a virgin.
>
> Without ranting on and on... I just can't find out what I want to
> know from their site.

The problem I have, with your whole concept, is how do you
know that a manufacturer's claim is real ? Say I were to point
you to an Asus web page that says "plays 1080p while being
easy on batteries". What are the odds that the claim is
truthful ? An acid test, for example, is to do PIP on 1080p,
and perhaps that is what you as a consumer have in mind,
while the manufacturer knows the hardware barely does 1080p
for a single stream. Or perhaps the manufacturer tested with
some variant that is "easy" to do, while your content has a
higher bitrate or whatever. Even if we find such a claim,
it could be bogus.

VIA recently introduced a new chipset, with the ability to
accelerate video, but they're VIA after all. There is no way
to know, based on their fluff claims, whether it works or not.

I concur on your opinion of the Asus site. Asus, are you listening ?

"Asus, your site is simply dreadful!

There, that's two votes.

*******

1201N Atom 330 Dual Core (1.6GHz?), Nvidia ION (first generation)

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=sZ0sI6WqjnCHGFta

1201PN Atom N450 Nvidia ION (second generation) ???

(I think that is a single core 1.66GHz processor, so maybe not the best choice.)

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-eee-pc-1201pn-ion-2-pine-view-netbook-official-0276292/

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.netbooknews.de%2F14132%2Fasus-eee-pc-1201pn-mit-n450-prozessor-und-ion-2-grafik%2F&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

1201T AMD MV-40 CPU (dual core 1.6GHz) , ATI RS780MN

(I cannot get the product page to appear! I can't verify this is the link.
I was able to see a page for this yesterday, but not today.)

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ls15lhnDPup9y6Uh

Another article - apparently they've reviewed a few different models, so
you could use the links on this page, to compare them.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-Next-Generation-ION-ION2-in-review.29021.0.html

Paul
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Paul:
>The problem I have, with your whole concept, is how do you
>know that a manufacturer's claim is real ?

That is part of the reason I am asking the question here.
--
PeteCresswell
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2