From: mickCyber on
Hi
i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to
around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool
but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?
Many thanks
Michael
PS: PS or Gimp
From: Andrew Morton on
mickCyber wrote:
> i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region
> to around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone
> tool but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?

What do you mean by "panel"? Is it a panel as in some part of a window on
the computer, or just some arbitrary section of a photo? If the former, you
could try using nearest neighbour interpolation when enlarging it. And what
are these "transitions" of which you speak?

The clone tool is probably not what you're after: you likely want to select
the region and transform it (<ctrl>T), you can set exact values in the
Options panel at the top.

Andrew

From: Ragnar on

"mickCyber" <CyberMike(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to
> around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool
> but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?
> Many thanks
> Michael
> PS: PS or Gimp

I do not have the latest version of PS but AFAIK you can not use the clone
tool to make an enlarged copy.
You need to copy the small region to a new layer then use Transform to make
it 20x bigger. There is no way of doing this without 'any visible effects'.
I hope I have understood your question correctly.
R.

From: Kabuki on

"mickCyber" <CyberMike(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to
> around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool
> but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?
> Many thanks
> Michael
> PS: PS or Gimp

If you can post the picture it would help to give the right advice

often I have a picture that the background does not cover the layout shape-
I have used transform to stretch it out but it works best on solid or
gradient areas. Have also used it to elongate a model's legs. NOTE: when I
make the marquee I use a big feather to soften the transition and not get a
'crack"

another way is to copy part of the "panel" and paste it, you may still need
the clone tool to blend the areas

From: Mike Russell on
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 11:04:29 -0000, Ragnar wrote:

> "mickCyber" <CyberMike(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> i want to enlarge/clone a panel. So how should I clone a small region to
>> around 20x the size without any visible effects? i know the clone tool
>> but it's difficult to get the transitions nice. any other way?
>> Many thanks
>> Michael
>> PS: PS or Gimp
>
> I do not have the latest version of PS but AFAIK you can not use the clone
> tool to make an enlarged copy.
> You need to copy the small region to a new layer then use Transform to make
> it 20x bigger. There is no way of doing this without 'any visible effects'.
> I hope I have understood your question correctly.
> R.

CS4 will do a variety of transforms using the clone tool, including making
an enlarged copy. This usually saves having to dupe the source image when
the cloned area is rotated, flipped, or a different size. It's a major
upgrade feature that doesn't get mentioned very much.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com