From: TOP on
That is why they call Pro/E a parametric modeler. The equations here
are parameter driven. SW cannot generate a parametric curve like the
little macro does. In fact the macro is pretty simple to modify to
create any kind of parametric curve. Just change the equations for x
and y.

This curve is not the curve for gear tooth faces. That is called an
involute and there is a fairly simple construction to make it.

From: Giorgis on
Wow thanks guys, I will define the problem a little more now and see
what you think.

I have a wheel and it has three protrusions on it.
This wheel rolls on a flat surface
As it rolls, it fits thru a hole smoothly. I need the profile of this
hole.

Now I came up with the easy way out. Make the protrusion the same as a
tooth on a pinion. The matching shape is but a flat tooth as you would
find on a rack.

This is an intresting topic, so it would be good if it is explored
further.

Kind thanks for all help so far, I will try some of the ideas
suggested.

Giorgis

From: Giorgis on
By the way, Solidworks should have a method of drawing epicyclic
curves.
You can generate all manner of gears by editing the parameters.
I guess I should explored the formulas used to generate the profiles.

What I have done instead is put a pinion and a matching rack.
Then pinch the profiles by using "convert entities"
End up with only one tooth.

It will work exactly ... priceless ?!?!
I know I took the easy way out, but that is what engineering is all
about

From: Giorgis on
DAMN ... I am wrong, the thooth profile on the gears drawn by
SolidWorks are actualy arcs on a circle. I should have guessed that
they are pictorial. They look so close though %$#@^&#$@. Anyway, I
should be able to find the exact profile onece I have figured out the
correct gear to put in.

Giorgis

From: TOP on
How is this an epicyclic curve?