From: Giorgis on
I need to draw an epicyclic curve on a sketch.
Any ideas on how I can go about it ?

Kind Thanks

Giorgis

From: TOP on
Do you have an equation?

From: wurz on

Giorgis wrote:
> I need to draw an epicyclic curve on a sketch.
> Any ideas on how I can go about it ?
>
> Kind Thanks
>
> Giorgis

Seems like my Tech Drawing classes at school weren't a waste after all
;-)

An epicyclic curve is the locus of a point on the perimeter of a small
circle rolling (without slipping) around a larger circle. I'm not sure
that there is a single mathematical expression for it - but it's one of
those things that's easier to draw with a pair of compasses and a rule
than on CAD.....

I think that to draw it in SW, you would have to think more like a
draughtsman and 'construct' the circles and lines, then tie together
key quantities using equations and linked values.

Might have a go at this one when I get a minute....

Martin

From: Jeff Howard on
> I need to draw an epicyclic curve on a sketch.
> Any ideas on how I can go about it ?

Maybe this will help in the effort...

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Epicycloid.html
From: Brian on
I don't believe there is a way to draw this in SW with 8 place
mathematical accuracy. But here is something that "may work":

-Two simple cylinders cooresponding to the minor and major diameters placed
into an assembly with gear mates between the two and other constraints that
only allow appropriate motion
-a point on the perimeter of the smaller which will allow you to extract its
location
-create an assembly sketch and convert the above points' location, remove
the coincident constraint and make the point fixed.
-rotate the larger cylinder
-rinse and repeat
-a spline created from the generated points should give a reasonable
representation

Creating a macro to auto-rotate the large cylinder, extract perimeter point
data, and repeat at a given increment should allow for a reasonably high
degree of accuracy

--
Brian Hokanson
Starting Line Products