From: Jason on
did your update service stop working on the 18th December 2008
mine and another persons did.
my last update was the Internet explorer 7 security update KB960714

i tried everything else as well... still nothing.
just trying to find the link

From: jakhoo on

"IHatethis!@#$" wrote:

> i tryd that but i cant the .net frame work file

Fm: jakhoo...
Windows Vista

ye... thats right. i tried all that and still have the error 80070490.
the lengthy display above comes originally from a blog by Andreas Klein (if
i'm not wrong!)
I also tried to find an answer on www.bleepingcomputer.com. But no success.
why don't the smart guys from Microsoft - Brahma of Vista - do something
about it?
From: Number4 on
Did you look in the registry for the .NET file? I had some issues with the
..NET Framework and found it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft
| .NETFramework. I had to delete the version in question; in my case it was
v2.0.50727. I deleted that key and was then able to proceed. ***NOTE***
Messing with the registry could cause the system to not work. I'm not saying
this is the way to proceed but it worked for me.

From: jakhoo on
Hi,

I'm not good at this techie stuff. Tried to find .NET Framework (as you
suggest) and came up with (some same as yours), but too scared to delete/make
changes in the Registry. Can you guide please? OS; Windows Vista SP1:
THANKS......
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\DisplayName : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\Description : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\DisplayName : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\Description : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\DisplayName : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32\Description : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN

***NOTE**** THIS IS NOT THE COMPLETE LIST (because i can't insert more than
30000 characters)

From: Number4 on
I haven't worked with Vista yet so these steps are for XP...
The first thing you want to do is back up the registry. In the Registry
Editor on the menu bar go to File | Export. Name the file something you can
remember, I usually put the date in it to help me and then save it to a
location easy to get to, like C:\temp\ or something. Now that you have a .reg
file there, if there are any problems with the registry, just double-click
the .reg file and it will ask if you want to add it to the registry. Try it
out before attempting to delete anything.

Now that you have a clean snapshot of your registry that you can reload to
put it back as it was originally, go in and delete one of the keys. Reboot
the machine and see if you have any glitches. If yes, reload the saved .reg
file; if no, delete another key and repeat. This is slow and tedious but if
you're not comfortable with the registry this is the only way to do it
yourself.