From: Enigmae on
I am running McAfee Security Center, but it was disabled during the "clean
boot" state and the BITS did not start during this state. Also I am running
Windows XP Home Edition with SP3.
From: MowGreen on
As to McAfee, please see:

You receive error code 0xC80001FE when try to connect to the Windows
Update Web site or to the Microsoft Update Web site to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958048

Also: Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running
Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Suggest you first attempt to reset file and registry permissions that
were altered by McAfee:

Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and
registry permissions
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

Can the Automatic Updates service be stopped and started now ?
Can BITS be started and stopped now ?

IF BITS can not be started nor stopped, see if it can be restored by
running this tool in the clean boot state:

Windows XP Update BITS Fix
http://www.philmorgan.net/techie-tools/windows-update-bits-background-intelligent-transfer-service-fix-batch-file-for-windows-xp

BTW, running the Fixit in it's Aggressive mode while the system is clean
booted should have restored BITS. Althought the title of this KB does
not contain the specific error code you're seeing, it contains fairly
detailed steps that one can try to restore BITS:

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or
the "0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the
Microsoft Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

You may be looking at a Repair Install of XP if the damaged service(s)
can not be restored, Enigmae. IF you have the original XP installation
CD and retained a copy of SP3, then you can slipstream the two to
expedite the process:

Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP3
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd.htm

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
And you would be replying to...?

Are you and "jenny" the same person?

When did you install McAfee Security Center? Is it a freebie or did you
purchase it? If the latter, when does your subscription expire? What
anti-virus application was installed before you installed McAfee Security
Center and was that subscription still current when you uninstalled it
before installing the McAfee application?

From: Enigmae on
Ok good news is the SubInACL tool worked and I can now start Windows Update.
The bad news is that none of the updates succeed. I manually downloaded
three of them that were high priority, but the rest fail everytime without an
error code or reason.
From: Enigmae on
Ignore my last post, that Windows XP Update BITS Fix link actually did the
trick and corrected my BITS files and got it working. Im not sure how I can
repay you MowGreen, but thank you so much for the awesome advice and
solutions...you rock!