From: Len on
it seems there are alot of people getting error code 646 on windows update,
and I have not seen a reply to fixing the 646... WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THE
QUESTIONS
From: MowGreen on
Len wrote:
> it seems there are alot of people getting error code 646 on windows update,
> and I have not seen a reply to fixing the 646... WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THE
> QUESTIONS

Surely you jest. I find 26 other threads with " error code 646 " besides
yours in this new group. Did you bother searching for it ?

Here's 3 resolutions for Vista/Windows 7:
1) Temporarily disable User Account Control. Install the updates,
restart, reenable User Account Control.
2) Install the updates with the Office CD already inserted into the
CD/DVD drive.
3) Open Windows Update in the Control Panel. Click the 'View updates
history' link. Write down the KB number of the *failed* updates.

Next, go here: Microsoft Download Center
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?

Download the updates by searching for the KB number, save said updates.
When you have them all, close Internet Explorer, and install them one at
a time.
NOTE: Be sure to download the updates intended for the architecture of
the system. x86 (32bit) versions for x86 (32bit) systems; x64 (64bit)
versions for x64 (64bit) systems.
4) If the update in question is a *Security update*, such as
MS10-031: Description of the security update for Office 2003: May 11, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976382
then MS offers *no-charge support* in getting the update installed or
troubleshooting compatibility:

" How to obtain help and support for this security update

in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local
Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the
Microsoft International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by
visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552

For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
through your usual support contacts. "

HTH !

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY