From: Mr. Arnold on
Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:
> "Jeff" <it_consultant1(a)hotmail.com.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>
>> My boss wants me to take the 70-536 certification exam.
>
> I hope you've been promised a huge pay rise, because there's no other
> reason to take any of these "certifications" - not worth the paper
> they're printed on...

That's not true. Each one of the certs I have taken have raised my
expertise and awareness level, which at one point I have implemented
something into applications such as Windows desktop application, console
application, Windows service application, Web service application, WCF
service application and ASP.NET UI application.

Vertical design and development from the UI to the DAL based on things I
learned in doing the cert processes does come into play at each layer in
a lot of cases.

And those certs do count on the resume, particularly contractor's
resume, because they will hire one with experience and certs, expecting
they will get the bang for the buck.

I only have 3 certs, but the process of studying for the certs is a
process that only improves one's overall knowledge, expertise and skill set.

Thos MS Press cert books are good reference books. :)
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Mr. Arnold" <Arnold(a)Arnold.com> wrote in message

> And those certs do count on the resume, particularly contractor's resume,
> because they will hire one with experience and certs, expecting they will
> get the bang for the buck.

That's 100% incorrect. Certifications do not equate to experience - quite
the reverse...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Mr. Arnold on

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "Mr. Arnold" <Arnold(a)Arnold.com> wrote in message
>
> > And those certs do count on the resume, particularly contractor's resume,
> > because they will hire one with experience and certs, expecting they will
> > get the bang for the buck.
>
> That's 100% incorrect. Certifications do not equate to experience - quite
> the reverse...
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

I have to say that you're 100% wrong here, as I have seen those
certifications come into play in getting contracts in addition to the
experince being considered when I have won the assigment to work for the
client.

Also, contracting firms that have a MS Gold Partnership have consultants
working for the frim that have been certified in order for the firm to be
granted the Gold partnership.

If you think those certs don't count, then you're not correct. They do
count. Maybe, you don't think they count, becuase you have not been is a
situation where that cert does count.

From: Gregory A. Beamer on

"Jeff" <it_consultant1(a)hotmail.com.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> hi
>
> My boss wants me to take the 70-536 certification exam. I see on the web
> that there are 2 versions of it. One with vb.net and another with c#.
> Thinks that is a bit strange. He assigned about 10 exams he wants me to
> complete, I see now that about 95% of the exams involve vb.net but it's C#
> we are using....
>
> any suggestions?

I would bring this up to him. The language should not matter overall, but it
does make more sense to cert in the language you want.

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld