From: nass on

"xrbbaker" wrote:

> Running XP Pro
> all patches, fixes applied
> IE7
> Outlook 2003-HTTPS connection to remote Exchange server
> McAfee-frequently scanned
> Stopzilla-frequently scanned
> desktop set up as Internet Connection Sharing hub
> Verizon wireless broadband card for Internet access
>
> My machine freezes up in various ways when I first start an application.
> I'll try to start Outlook and it will kick off and then lock up. At other
> times Outlook will be working fine, I'll be keying in a new email, and then I
> click Send, and it locks up. At other times IE7 locks up upon launch. This
> morning for example I rebooted and after the machine started its porcesses I
> kicked off IE7 and it locked up. I then altcntldelete and select Shutdown.
> Usually I get a message that explorer.exe is hanging do I want to END it. I
> select yes. Shutdown partially works and then typically just hangs during
> the shut down process and I have to hit the power button. I had to repeat
> this 3 times before IE7 finally worked. For the most part once IE is working
> and Outlook is working everything is fine and I can go for days as long as I
> never shut it down.
>
> I downloaded procexp and have it kick off auto during start up so that when
> everything freezes I can still watch what goes on. I really think what is
> happening is that explorer.exe is the problem. That is because whether
> Outlook locks or IE7 locks, when I try to break out it says the explorer.exe
> is not responding. Since both of these apps use the internet connection it
> also may be that it doesn't talk properly with tcp/ip or my wireless card at
> times. Of course it's possible that the hangs for each application are
> caused by totally unrelated things.
>
> In the event viewer I'll get things like this:
>
> APPLICATION
> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16574, faulting module
> sziebho.dll, version 5.0.5.5, fault address 0x00007fb9.
>
> Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16574, hang module
> hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
>
> SYSTEM
> The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution
> servers from the registry. The data is the error code.
>
> The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of
> the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration,
> insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.
>
> The server {C7E39D60-7A9F-42BF-ABB1-03DC0FA4F493} did not register with DCOM
> within the required timeout.
>
> In summary I tend to waste 30 minutes every time I start the machine due to
> this nonsense and then it generally behaves. I'd really like to get that 30
> minutes back. Any ideas on where to start are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Russ

Go through these Cleaning steps:
1... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
by doing this:
Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Taps:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.
How to manage Add-Ons:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256
Scan for malware from here:
Spybot Search & Destroy
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
RootkitRevealer v1.71
By Bryce Cogswell and Mark Russinovich
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/RootkitRevealer.mspx

Open a run command and
type in:
ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
ipconfig /renew click [OK]
netsh winsock reset click [OK]
Reboot the machine and see if the error will be lgged after a while.

Faulting application , version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version
0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

This can indicate a memory is Bad so check your RAM sticks by downloading
this tool to check it with:
You may have a bad RAM try to test your RAM by running Memtest by
downloading this tool and unzip it and make a floppy or CD/DVD and run it on
Reboot.
http://www.memtest86.com/
You may need to reposition/reset the RAM sticks in their slots.

APPLICATION
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16574, faulting module
sziebho.dll, version 5.0.5.5, fault address 0x00007fb9.
sziebho.dll is: STOPzilla Browser Helper Object Module, try to uninstall
the StopZilla and then Reinstall it and get the updates from the website.

= An event ID 10010 error message may be logged many times in the event log
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873375

COM+ and DCOM Errors When Remapping Citrix Drive
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280719
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q187/1/46.ASP&NoWebContent=1
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/4035.mspx?mfr=true

You may need to uninstall and reinstall the TCP/IP or your NIC then
reinstall, also check the Power options for your NIC is set to NOT Turn OFF
this Device OFF when System Idle.

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

How to Troubleshoot Basic TCP/IP Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790

Remove some unwanted Programs from starting up with your system and causing
the undesired delay in Start Up, by using the Autoruns.exe from Microsoft
website.
HTH.
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

From: Gerry on
Download and install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
Download details: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
http://snipurl.com/5b61

UPHClean v1.5e readme.txt
http://snipurl.com/ko8m

Try running HD Tune(freeware).

Download and run it and see what it turns up.
http://www.hdtune.com/

Select the Info tabs and place the cursor on the drive under Drive
letter and then double click the two page icon ( copy to Clipboard )
and copy into a further message.

Select the Health tab and then double click the two page icon ( copy
to Clipboard ) and copy into a further message. Also do a full surface
scan with HD Tune.

Have you tried using cCleaner to clean up your disk?

An alternative is cCleaner (freeware) which does a more thorough job
than Disk CleanUp.
http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp
http://www.ccleaner.com/

With any cleaner you need to proceed with caution. To be safe you
should create a restore point before using cCleaner. cCleaner also
offers backup before removal.

When using cCleaner think twice before checking Autocomplete Form
History under Internet Explorer. You do get a warning but this one has
irritating consequences. You may need to restore your system's
recollection of passwords after use so keep a record off computer so
that they can easily be re-entered.

Leave the Scan for Issues option alone.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: xrbbaker on
First I created a restore point... I ran the HD Tune scan and all was well.
Below is additional info. I ran CCleaner. I made Nass's recommended IE
changes. I noticed this evening that I think it is simply the VZ Access
Manager itself that is the problem. I had booted the machine. When I
floatedd the cursor over the Explorer toolbar it popped up the appropriate
text by the mouse pointer like Volume, etc. I then launched the VA Access
Manager. Bam. Toolbar frozen. Both IE and Outlook of course depend on VZ
Access Manager as it is their TCP/IP broadband connection and they are the
two products that "freeze" the most. I'm wondering if it is really them, or
the fact that they are waiting on VA which is frozen.

Anyway, I've spend some time this evening making your recommended changes.
Now I'll see if any of them make any difference.

Thanks,

Russ

HD Tune: IC25N030ATMR04-0 Information

Firmware version : MOAOAD0A
Serial number : MRG2A9K2K1JU4J
Capacity : 27.9 GB (~30.0 GB)
Buffer size : 1740 KB
Standard : ATA/ATAPI-0
Supported mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)
Current mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)

S.M.A.R.T : yes
48-bit Address : yes
Read Look-Ahead : yes
Write Cache : yes
Host Protected Area : yes
Device Configuration Overlay : yes
Automatic Acoustic Management: yes
Power Management : yes
Advanced Power Management : yes
Power-up in Standby : yes
Security Mode : yes
Firmware Upgradable : no

Partition : 1
Drive letter :
Label :
Capacity : 31 MB
Usage : 0.00%
Type : unknown (DEh)
Bootable : No

Partition : 2
Drive letter : C:\
Label :
Capacity : 28576 MB
Usage : 59.17%
Type : NTFS
Bootable : Yes

HD Tune: IC25N030ATMR04-0 Health

ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status
(01) Raw Read Error Rate 100 100 62 0 Ok
(02) Throughput Performance 104 104 40 5927 Ok
(03) Spin Up Time 158 158 33 1 Ok
(04) Start/Stop Count 100 100 0 1558 Ok
(05) Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 5 0 Ok
(07) Seek Error Rate 100 100 67 0 Ok
(08) Seek Time Performance 114 114 40 39 Ok
(09) Power On Hours Count 75 75 0 11279 Ok
(0A) Spin Retry Count 100 100 60 0 Ok
(0C) Power Cycle Count 100 100 0 1332 Ok
(BF) G-sense Error Rate 100 100 0 0 Ok
(C0) Power Off Retract Count 100 100 0 73 Ok
(C1) Load Cycle Count 90 90 0 100629 Ok
(C2) Temperature 105 105 0 196660 Ok
(C4) Reallocated Event Count 100 100 0 0 Ok
(C5) Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 Ok
(C6) Offline Uncorrectable 100 100 0 0 Ok
(C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 200 200 0 0 Ok

Power On Time : 11279
Health Status : Ok

From: Gerry on

Why do you need VZ Access Manager for IE and Outlook? This I believe to
be a USB connection device, which is the poorest / slowest way to
connect to the internet. An ethernet or wireless connection is to be be
preferred. Can't you split your set up so that you have a more
conventional connection for your computer and use the VZ Access Manager
for your blueberry??.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute

From: xrbbaker on
I live back on a bumpkin road with no access to cable or DSL. Hence my only
option is to go wireless broadband. This machine is actually a laptop with a
pc/mcia wireless broadband card for Internet access. I would LOVE to have a
direct connection but unless I pay them to run a fractional T1 line to my
house (which I am looking in to) wireless is my only option.

Thanks