From: Gerry on
Isn't VZ Access Manager for use with a USB connection?
http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=72463023622626&mkt=en-US&lang=en-US&w=8d9ab37f&FORM=CVRE3

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2114/40/

http://estore.vzwshop.com/search/devices/novatel_v620.html#

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
xrbbaker wrote:
> [...]
>> believe to be a USB connection device, which is the poorest /
>> slowest way to connect to the internet. An ethernet or wireless
>> connection is to be be preferred. Can't you split your set up so
>> that you have a more conventional connection for your computer and
>> use the VZ Access Manager for your blueberry??.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> xrbbaker wrote:
>>> First I created a restore point... I ran the HD Tune scan and all
>>> was well. Below is additional info. I ran CCleaner. I made Nass's
>>> recommended IE changes. I noticed this evening that I think it is
>>> simply the VZ Access Manager itself that is the problem. I had
>>> booted the machine. When I floatedd the cursor over the Explorer
>>> toolbar it popped up the appropriate text by the mouse pointer like
>>> Volume, etc. I then launched the VA Access Manager. Bam. Toolbar
>>> frozen. Both IE and Outlook of course depend on VZ Access Manager
>>> as it is their TCP/IP broadband connection and they are the two
>>> products that "freeze" the most. I'm wondering if it is really
>>> them, or the fact that they are waiting on VA which is frozen.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I've spend some time this evening making your recommended
>>> changes. Now I'll see if any of them make any difference.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Russ
>>>
>>> HD Tune: IC25N030ATMR04-0 Information
>>>
>>> Firmware version : MOAOAD0A
>>> Serial number : MRG2A9K2K1JU4J
>>> Capacity : 27.9 GB (~30.0 GB)
>>> Buffer size : 1740 KB
>>> Standard : ATA/ATAPI-0
>>> Supported mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)
>>> Current mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)
>>>
>>> S.M.A.R.T : yes
>>> 48-bit Address : yes
>>> Read Look-Ahead : yes
>>> Write Cache : yes
>>> Host Protected Area : yes
>>> Device Configuration Overlay : yes
>>> Automatic Acoustic Management: yes
>>> Power Management : yes
>>> Advanced Power Management : yes
>>> Power-up in Standby : yes
>>> Security Mode : yes
>>> Firmware Upgradable : no
>>>
>>> Partition : 1
>>> Drive letter :
>>> Label :
>>> Capacity : 31 MB
>>> Usage : 0.00%
>>> Type : unknown (DEh)
>>> Bootable : No
>>>
>>> Partition : 2
>>> Drive letter : C:\
>>> Label :
>>> Capacity : 28576 MB
>>> Usage : 59.17%
>>> Type : NTFS
>>> Bootable : Yes
>>>
>>> HD Tune: IC25N030ATMR04-0 Health
>>>
>>> ID Current Worst ThresholdData
>>> Status (01) Raw Read Error Rate 100 100 62 0
>>> Ok (02) Throughput Performance 104 104 40 5927
>>> Ok (03) Spin Up Time 158 158 33 1
>>> Ok (04) Start/Stop Count 100 100 0 1558
>>> Ok (05) Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 5 0
>>> Ok (07) Seek Error Rate 100 100 67 0
>>> Ok (08) Seek Time Performance 114 114 40 39
>>> Ok (09) Power On Hours Count 75 75 0 11279
>>> Ok (0A) Spin Retry Count 100 100 60 0
>>> Ok (0C) Power Cycle Count 100 100 0 1332
>>> Ok (BF) G-sense Error Rate 100 100 0 0
>>> Ok (C0) Power Off Retract Count 100 100 0 73
>>> Ok (C1) Load Cycle Count 90 90 0
>>> 100629 Ok (C2) Temperature 105 105 0
>>> 196660 Ok (C4) Reallocated Event Count 100 100 0
>>> 0
>>> Ok (C5) Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0
>>> Ok (C6) Offline Uncorrectable 100 100 0 0
>>> Ok (C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 200 200 0 0

From: xrbbaker on
Hey Gerry,

I've had this card for about 3 years, before the USB connection version was
invented. I think they modified the VZ Access Manger software to work with
the USB type card. You remind me that I spoke to the Verizon tech support
folks a few months ago and they told me that as my card was quite old it
might make sense to replace it with something more current. I was actually
thinking about replacing my pcmcia air-card for the USB version, but do you
think it would be slower coming over the USB port?

thx

From: Gerry on
My experience is based a wired broadband internet connection. In this
situation a USB connection from router to computer is the slowest of
three options, the other two being ethernet and wireless. Of course
early versions of USB were much slower than USB 2. I was told the other
day that USB 3 will be much quicker.

Do you have USB 2 ports on your computer or are they an earlier version?
Note also that cabling for USB 2 is different to that for USB 1. If you
use older cabling you do not get the higher speeds of USB 2.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute

From: xrbbaker on
Very cool. I think the thing to do here is replace my card for starters. I
may also replace my laptop while I'm at it and grab a new desktop.
Decisions, decisions.

Thanks much for your help.