From: Justin on
I am aware of the three utilities (ext2fsx seems to be the most popular)
for mounting an ext2 filesystem, but will there ever be a utility to
mount an ext3 filesystem properly? As in with journalization fully enabled?
I can see myself having the need to do exactly this in the next few
months. I understand network shares and whatnot. I already have NTFS
R/W capability via MacFUSE and ntfs-g - I just with there was something
for ext3!

From: Jolly Roger on
In article <hdqv84$mm5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Justin <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:

> I am aware of the three utilities (ext2fsx seems to be the most popular)
> for mounting an ext2 filesystem, but will there ever be a utility to
> mount an ext3 filesystem properly? As in with journalization fully enabled?
> I can see myself having the need to do exactly this in the next few
> months. I understand network shares and whatnot. I already have NTFS
> R/W capability via MacFUSE and ntfs-g - I just with there was something
> for ext3!

Just curious: What would you use it for if you could? Fixing problems
with Linux disks?

JR
From: Ronald Bruck on
In article <jollyroger-D1856D.07524216112009(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <hdqv84$mm5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Justin <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>
> > I am aware of the three utilities (ext2fsx seems to be the most popular)
> > for mounting an ext2 filesystem, but will there ever be a utility to
> > mount an ext3 filesystem properly? As in with journalization fully enabled?
> > I can see myself having the need to do exactly this in the next few
> > months. I understand network shares and whatnot. I already have NTFS
> > R/W capability via MacFUSE and ntfs-g - I just with there was something
> > for ext3!

> Just curious: What would you use it for if you could? Fixing problems
> with Linux disks?

I suppose you could use it to share data between your MacOS X and your
Linux partitions. But I dunno why; I keep a small volume formatted as
(shudder!) fat32 for this purpose. Both OS X and Linux recognize it.

I once paid good money for a program that promised to mount ext3
partitions in MacOS, only to find that it would NOT mount ReiserFS
partitions (because of the journaling). As I understand it, ReiserFS
is built on ext3.

-- Ron Bruck
From: Jerry Bishop on
On 2009-11-16 12:35:25 -0500, Ronald Bruck <bruck(a)math.usc.edu> said:

> In article <jollyroger-D1856D.07524216112009(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> I once paid good money for a program that promised to mount ext3
> partitions in MacOS, only to find that it would NOT mount ReiserFS
> partitions (because of the journaling). As I understand it, ReiserFS
> is built on ext3.
>
> -- Ron Bruck

ReiserFS is not related, or derived from, ext3. They are two different
file systems. ReiserFS is not being developed anymore, I don't think,
seeing as how the author is in jail for murder and all.

Jerry

From: Justin on
Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article <hdqv84$mm5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Justin <justin(a)nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote:
>
>> I am aware of the three utilities (ext2fsx seems to be the most popular)
>> for mounting an ext2 filesystem, but will there ever be a utility to
>> mount an ext3 filesystem properly? As in with journalization fully enabled?
>> I can see myself having the need to do exactly this in the next few
>> months. I understand network shares and whatnot. I already have NTFS
>> R/W capability via MacFUSE and ntfs-g - I just with there was something
>> for ext3!

> Just curious: What would you use it for if you could? Fixing problems
> with Linux disks?

I would like to be prepared. If a client sends me a hard drive
formatted to ext3, points a gun to my head and tells me to read from it.
It isn't a problem *yet* but its something that I can see an an issue in
the future.
For now my solution is NTFS, but NTFS on Leopard has some drawbacks, its
a bit slow and if I have a corrupted volume ntfs-g doesn't have
diagnostic capabilities. I'm not a fan of Paragon's product due to a
bad experience.