From: Andrew Hamilton on
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:19:19 -0400, Mike Ruskai
<BUTthannydI(a)DONTearthlinkLIKE.netSPAM> wrote:

>On or about Fri, 04 Sep 2009 19:03:27 -0700 did Andrew Hamilton
><Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> dribble thusly:
>
>>I need to get external enclosures for two Hitachi 3.5" HDD. One is
>>320 GB, the other is 1 TB. I need both USB and eSATA (at 3.0, not
>>1.5!)
>
>Why 3 instead of 1.5? There are no SATA drives capable of saturating a
>1.5Gbps link, and unless you're using a port multiplier, there's no benefit to
>having excess capacity.

I' m thinking to the future in one or two drive generations, where the
SATA II speed might actually make a difference. I like to get a long
useful lifetime out of PC stuff I buy. :)

>In any case, there are countless cases out there that support USB and eSATA. I
>have one from Rosewill which looks kind of like an alien head. It has two
>fans (one on each side of the drive, which forces the air to wend its way past
>the PCB and go out the vent holes on the back), and requires dealing with only
>two screws to change the drive.

Sounds like a good place to start.

>I have a Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB drive in it right now. It transfers at around
>110MB/sec when connected with eSATA, and about 24MB/sec when connected with
>USB.
>
>If you're looking for one that supports two drives, then browse the drive
>enclosure section at www.newegg.com with the appropriate filters. Most
>dual-drive cases want to do RAID. Make sure they say JBOD is supported, and
>that it's not "JBOD = spanning", but actual JBOD (drives passed through
>individually to the host).

Ah, good point, very good point.

Someone else suggested that I browse Newegg. As far as I'm concerned,
I do all my purchases at newegg. There is a Frys Electronics pretty
close to my house, but the prices at Frys are usually a bit higher
than newegg, and also the customer service at Frys is worse than
worst. "Friends don't let friends shop at Frys." Me and my friends,
we all HATE, HATE Frys, for good reason.

-AH
From: Andrew Hamilton on
On 5 Sep 2009 11:56:52 GMT, Arno <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90900(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I need to get external enclosures for two Hitachi 3.5" HDD. One is
>> 320 GB, the other is 1 TB. I need both USB and eSATA (at 3.0, not
>> 1.5!)
>
>> Can anyone recommend or not-recommend specific models? The case has
>> to be strong enough to protect the drive when carried around in a
>> laptop bag or in luggage.
>
>You basically get no protection from enclosures, as HDDs are
>shock sensitive. Enclosures help to prevent scratches and
>the like, but for shocks most I ever had are useless. The
>only exception is the very cheap WD elements with the
>silicone endcaps. Better get a neoprene or the like
>bag for the HDD, that will help more than an enclosure where
>the drive is basically hard mounted to the outer shell.

Thanks. If that the case, then I would get only one enclosure, and
just carry the other drives loose in a static-protected bubble wrap
bag.

-AH