From: Bob Quintal on
johnboy7676(a)yahoo.com wrote in

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:17:02 -0700, Daryl S
> <DarylS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Where and how is the acctnum created? This may be the source of
>>your issue. I would check the code that creates the ACCTNUM and
>>fix it. That will prevent future issues from coming up.
>>
>>Back up your database, then clean up the existing data.
>>
>>You should clean up your ACCTNUM data by trimming off any extra
>>spaces at the end of the string. It could be that ALPHA is null,
>>but your ACCTNUM is not. This would need to be cleaned up in both
>>the master acct table and in the billing charges table (and
>>anywhere else the ACCTNUM is used).
>>
>>Alternatively, do not use ACCTNUM from the tables at all, but
>>'build' that value each time, and group on the built value.
>
> I think "this" problem was that it was set to allow zero length,
> but I agree that in general maybe I'd better rethink my method.
>
> Thanks, John

What I would suggest is that the field be left at 'allow zero
length', set the default to "" (the empty string), and set
'required' to Yes, The required property prohibits nulls.

Then I would create an unique index on the three fields. You might
even set it to Primary key.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.