From: Mike on
Hi Bob,

After reviewing what you have written here, I am aware that there is a
program that is halting Microsoft Excel (2007). I have a script I am
running, that is intentionally doing this. The problem is that, when the
script executes, Office thinks the application is frozen, and therefore runs
OFFLB. Is there a way to disable OFFLB for specific applications, or disable
it entirely? When my application returns, OFFLB is holding a resource that I
need to exit, and I am forced to either kill the process or wait until it
finishes.

Thanks,
Mike

From: Bob Buckland ?:-) on
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what all the Office Lifeboat (OffLB.exe) watcher uses for criteria or timing to identify a problem. My understanding
it that it's not something that can be customized, but you should be able to disable it as part of the install/configuration of
Office, but it's part of the diagnostics capability.

If this is a deployed/enterprise edition, you can use, from either the Office CD or Office Network Installation Point (oNIP)
Setup.exe /Admin
to create an Office Customization Tool (OCT) patch file.

The setting in the OCT is at
Microsoft Office Systems=>Office Diagnostics=>Disable Office Diagnostics.
but you may want to do some testing.

I haven't tried simply renaming OffLB.exe but suspect that the MS Installer would likely put it back, but you may want to check that
as well.

You may also want to use the link below to also post this in the MS Office Excel Programming discussion group (link below) to see if
anyone there has a solution for you.

==========
<<"Mike" <Mike(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70AFDA09-6A67-4B7D-926F-8A1CCC9F9E42(a)microsoft.com...
Hi Bob,

After reviewing what you have written here, I am aware that there is a
program that is halting Microsoft Excel (2007). I have a script I am
running, that is intentionally doing this. The problem is that, when the
script executes, Office thinks the application is frozen, and therefore runs
OFFLB. Is there a way to disable OFFLB for specific applications, or disable
it entirely? When my application returns, OFFLB is holding a resource that I
need to exit, and I am forced to either kill the process or wait until it
finishes.

Thanks,
Mike >>
--
Please let us know if this has helped,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

>>*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends<<

LINKS
A. Specific newsgroup/discussion group mentioned in this message:
or via browser:
http://microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/?dg=microsoft.public.excel.programming

B. MS Office Community discussion/newsgroups via Web Browser
http://microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx
or
Microsoft hosted newsgroups via Outlook Express/newsreader

From: Bob Buckland ?:-) on
Thank you for posting back with that information. There have been some odd issues with HP Printer drivers with Office 2007 and HP
has mentioned that they are working on some updates, but I don't recall that particular model printer being mentioned.

Glad you're now UpAndRunning. :)
<<"AllSystemsDown" <AllSystemsDown(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hello All, I finally figured out my problem. The computer had a printer
installed from HP installation CD rom for an HP inkjet 1200n. Once I
uninstalled the HP printer and all software associated with it my lockup
problems with Access went away and so did OFFLB.EXE. I can only think
something from the HP program was conflicting with Office2007 causing it to
go into protection thus firing up Office Life boat (OFFLB.EXE). I downloaded
just the driver and setup a new printer using just the driver from HP and now
everthing is working. >>