From: Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries on
One of the posters on a skydiving site I frequent is having a pop-up problem
(but only on the skydiving site). The first pop-up he received said "welcome
to sophalo.com." Of course, sophalo.com doesn't exist. Now he's getting this
page:

hxxp://shop2.forless.com/?pid=559&keywords=skydive

No one else on the site has admitted to having a problem, so I suggested he
try MBAM. No joy. He is, even as we speak, trying SAS, and I told him I
would ask around about his problem in the meantime.

I did some googling, and the two most interesting threads are these:

http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/windowsxp/266392/Pop-Ups

http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/windowsxp/266392/Pop-Ups

I was hoping someone here might have some helpful input, and if so, I would
appreciate hearing from you. Thanks much.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

The right to be heard does not automatically include
the right to be taken seriously. Hubert H. Humphrey

From: Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries on
In news:9NWdnYaeBvvRyjzXnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d(a)giganews.com,
The Real Truth MVP <trt(a)void.com> wrote:
> Use my Remove-it software, it will remove that malware from your
> system. Choose yes for all options when prompted. Download it here
> http://www.ms-mvp.org/

Oh.My.Aching.Sides.

Thank you for the great big belly laugh, Chris. I needed one today.

From: Andy Walker on
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote:

>One of the posters on a skydiving site I frequent is having a pop-up problem
>(but only on the skydiving site). The first pop-up he received said "welcome
>to sophalo.com." Of course, sophalo.com doesn't exist. Now he's getting this
>page:
>
>hxxp://shop2.forless.com/?pid=559&keywords=skydive
>
>No one else on the site has admitted to having a problem, so I suggested he
>try MBAM. No joy. He is, even as we speak, trying SAS, and I told him I
>would ask around about his problem in the meantime.
>
>I did some googling, and the two most interesting threads are these:
>
>http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/windowsxp/266392/Pop-Ups
>
>http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/windowsxp/266392/Pop-Ups
>
>I was hoping someone here might have some helpful input, and if so, I would
>appreciate hearing from you. Thanks much.

You might want to also try using Adaware if SAS doesn't find anything.
http://www.lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php (choose Adaware free
download)

Since the pop-up appears to be a form of adware, the malware removers
may not target it.

From: Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries on
In news:4aa19001.238139750(a)news.free.fr,
Andy Walker <awalker(a)nspank.invalid> wrote:
> Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote:
>
>> One of the posters on a skydiving site I frequent is having a pop-up
>> problem (but only on the skydiving site). The first pop-up he
>> received said "welcome to sophalo.com." Of course, sophalo.com
>> doesn't exist. Now he's getting this page:
>>
>> hxxp://shop2.forless.com/?pid=559&keywords=skydive
>>
>> No one else on the site has admitted to having a problem, so I
>> suggested he try MBAM. No joy. He is, even as we speak, trying SAS,
>> and I told him I would ask around about his problem in the meantime.
>>
>> I did some googling, and the two most interesting threads are these:
>>
>> http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/windowsxp/266392/Pop-Ups
>>
>> http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/windowsxp/266392/Pop-Ups
>>
>> I was hoping someone here might have some helpful input, and if so,
>> I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks much.
>
> You might want to also try using Adaware if SAS doesn't find anything.
> http://www.lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php (choose Adaware free
> download)

I expect he has already tried AdAware, but I'll ask him when he posts back
about SAS. I don't use it, but I note that quite a lot of people still do.
Thanks for the suggestion.

> Since the pop-up appears to be a form of adware, the malware removers
> may not target it.

That makes sense.

I have a feeling I'm going to regret trying to being helpful in this
instance, but it won't be the first time.

Thanks again.

From: Leythos on
In article <7gdl9qF2p2s53U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
rhondaleakirk(a)earthling.net says...
> But it has given me an idea--the very next time someone I really don't like
> has a computer problem, I'm sending that person straight to Butts. <evil
> cackle>

That's funny. I had never disliked anyone enough to do that, but it's
funny!

Trust yourself.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5