From: threademporium on
win xp / FP2003
http://icingpictures.co.uk/online_order_form.htm

Trying to create a confirmation page for above form - understand how to
connect up confir page and original form and get it to display data fields -
what i cannot get clear is what the person who views the confirmation page
does with it - there are no submit buttons - go back to form links etc - the
microsoft articles i have read all talk about the ability to view the
confirmation page and then confirm it - how do they do that - seems the
confirmation page is a dead end and has no influence on the original form
that has already been sent to my email - have i misunderstood the concept of
a confirmation form?

Thank you for taking a look at my question

Joyce
From: Ronx on
The confirmation page is really a "Thank you" page - it confirms that the form data may have been processed. You can add links to other pages in your site, but once the confirmation page shows, the form data is finished and cannot be changed.

I cannot remember ever seeing a page where I could confirm the form contents as correct before finally submitting it - correction of errors found by validation scripts yes, but not confirmation.
--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

threademporium laid this down on his screen :

From: IdaSpode on
I admin a site that is mostly used to sign up participants in an
annual off road motorcycle event. Sorry to say, 'cuz I are one, but it
seems dirtbikers aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree. Some guys
would hit submit a half dozen before they got it all right (what, you
mean you can't spell you own last name correctly???).

This ended up being a PITA for me. I needed to give them a way to at
least have another look at the data they entered before submitting to
the database. Like you, I asked in this newsgroup for help, which I
received from Thomas Rowe, here is what I ended up with, made a big
difference in minimizing duplicate entries.

Someone else may be able to describe this better than I, but here ya
go...

If I understand you correctly, you need to have the order form pass
the data/values in your text and option boxes to another form for
review, then have the second form submit the data/values to the
database/file and display a page confirming the data sent to the
database.

(Think of the second form as a "review" page as opposed to a
confirmation page.)

The second form must have identical fields to the original, then have
each field "request" data from the first one.

For example:

Text box/field in first form (order_form.html):

<input type="text" name="first_name" size="12" tabindex="1"/>

In "Form Properties" select > Send to other >

in Options > Options for custom form handler:

Action = order_form_review.html
Method = post
---------------------------------------

Same text box/field in second form (order_form_review.html):

<input type="text" name="first_name" size="12" tabindex="1"
value="<%=Request.Form("first_name")%>"/>

When you hit the submit button on the first form, all the fields will
propagate into the identical fields on second form. You can then
review the data and have a link back to the original form to make
corrections/changes if needed.

When you hit submit on the second form, it sends the data to your
database, email, file, folder or whatever destination you choose.
After submitting the form is normally when you will be sent to a
"confirmation page", which lists the data/values submitted to your
database or other destination.

If need be, email me at djones (at) Lsidaho {dot} com, I can send you
copies of one of the forms.

DJ

From: Ronx on
The action should be:
Action = "order_form_review.asp"

The method uses "classic" ASP and will only work on a Windows server, or a Unix server that supports ASP - some do, but not very common.

You will also need details of your server set up (database if used, SMTP server, any login details needed for the SMTP server) since this method does NOT use the FrontPage extensions.

PHP could be used instead of ASP, PHP will work on almost every server.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx

IdaSpode explained :

From: IdaSpode on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 08:18:07 +0100, Ronx <ronx917(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>The action should be:
>Action = "order_form_review.asp"

You are correct, thank you. Sorry for the ommision. Front Page, unlike
me, will prompt you to save with the *.asp extension on these types of
forms.

DJ